Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I get it now. That's a really tough one. Partridge females tend to improve with age. A mossy pullet can molt into a good hen, and may be even better after the next molt, although I've not gotten that far personally. With young birds I would evaluate the breeder as much as the chickens. Good luck.

Great advice! Thank you so much!
smile.png

I'm kind of hesitant to respond here. I'm getting the feeling you don't put much stock in what I had to say over on the project thread. But I am going to give it one more shot.

The cockerel in the first photo is a buff columbian pattern. nothing splash (or red) about him. He does not appear to carry a copy of blue, let alone the two copies required to be splash.

This male could indeed produce blue chicks, but only if mated with a blue, or splash female.

Breeding a blue partridge to a gold partridge will produce zero splash chicks. For a bird to be splash it must recieve a copy of blue from each parent. The blue partridge can pass a copy off blue to half it's chicks, your gold partridge can only pass black on to it's young. So this mating should produce roughly half blue, and half black trimmed chicks.

Thanks for the information. I should have realized that a splash was not possible. I am still new to all the genetic combinations required to produce color and patterns, but this thread is full of interesting post that I will be writing down in my "projects and genetics" journal.

I no longer have the roosters with the above coloring. They did have VH.

Do you still have SL Brahmas? I have a rooster, but unfortunately he also has VH. He has a wonderful demeanor with his hens ( Marans, for eating eggs only) that I just cannot send him to the freezer. I have searched for hatching eggs but no luck. I would not use the rooster above to breed because of the VH.

I love brahmas especially dark and then light. I always wanted some other colored ones like blue-partridge.

I'm searching for a female LF Buff Brahma for my daughter to help with her 4-H project. I am looking for a large Buff Brahma that is darker in color approaching an orangish tint with good undercolor with a very wide head and good skull. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

I imagine they are! I shall have to pay attention. I'd love to see that!

Yes maybe someone will kindly post pictures if they raise these type of brahmas. I hope to get lucky and see some nice lf brahmas at the unifour all breed show that people are selling. I would like to raise some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom