Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is exactly what I needed to know. I think you are telling me to select the pullets/hens that show the least amount of cushion and breed to that, select again, until maybe (hopefully) I can remove the cushion problem. I think my feather tightness is good, but I do have a cushion problem that I need to remedy. I am also lucky that so far (knock on wood) I haven't had a problem with vulture hocks. I'm trying really hard to select my breeding stock to most closely match the standard (other than color) that I can. As I look at other breeding stock, I find that so many of the unusual colors (partridge, laced and double laced) have some serious cushions, which as I said I think comes from breeding cochin in to get the desirable color/patterns but are missing the desired brahma topline, obviously, the cochin topline is a dominant characteristic that may be very, very difficult to eradicate.

As I said before, I don't see the cushion problem in the cockerels/roosters, I'm not familiar with cochins so I don't know if it is normal that the male of the species just don't show the characteristic, but carry it in the genes. I'll share what I find from my latest brood pens as they mature.

My husband is having serious second thoughts about my project breeding brahmas. He had to build me a coop condo this last weekend, although he's making me do the inside construction.
big_smile.png

Thanks again.

That is exactly what I needed to know. I think you are telling me to select the pullets/hens that show the least amount of cushion and breed to that, select again, until maybe (hopefully) I can remove the cushion problem. I think my feather tightness is good, but I do have a cushion problem that I need to remedy. I am also lucky that so far (knock on wood) I haven't had a problem with vulture hocks. I'm trying really hard to select my breeding stock to most closely match the standard (other than color) that I can. As I look at other breeding stock, I find that so many of the unusual colors (partridge, laced and double laced) have some serious cushions, which as I said I think comes from breeding cochin in to get the desirable color/patterns but are missing the desired brahma topline, obviously, the cochin topline is a dominant characteristic that may be very, very difficult to eradicate.

As I said before, I don't see the cushion problem in the cockerels/roosters, I'm not familiar with cochins so I don't know if it is normal that the male of the species just don't show the characteristic, but carry it in the genes. I'll share what I find from my latest brood pens as they mature.

My husband is having serious second thoughts about my project breeding brahmas. He had to build me a coop condo this last weekend, although he's making me do the inside construction.
big_smile.png

Thanks again.

One of the best ways to eliminate cushion problems in any breed is select for longer backs. Remember, often feathers can tell us what is going on underneath them. I know Rock breeders struggle with this sometimes too, but if you combine breeding for longer backs with birds that show less of a cushion affect, you will get rid of it within a couple generations.

Hi, everyone! I am new to BYC and chickens in general. We have had our six light brahma chicks for almost a week now and I have to say, I am a bit obsessed with them!

I am hoping they are pullets since I can't have a roo where I live. :( My favorite little baby is called Lemon. She/he is the only one I can name since I can't tell them all apart! Lemon is the tiniest one in the bunch and is by FAR the most docile. I already love her so much.

We also have two Cayuga ducklings, and while I love them, I think I am more of a chicken gal. I have kept them all in the same brooder this far, but tomorrow the ducks are moving to a new box because they are SOAKING everything! I think my chicks will be happier if their environment is drier.

Anywho... I look forward to posting here and interacting more with you all. Everyone had been so helpful so far!

P. S. do your brahma hens regularly get broody? I am already anticipating having to creat space for a broody coop along with their regular coop. Gotta get on that. :)

Hi, everyone! I am new to BYC and chickens in general. We have had our six light brahma chicks for almost a week now and I have to say, I am a bit obsessed with them!

I am hoping they are pullets since I can't have a roo where I live.
sad.png
My favorite little baby is called Lemon. She/he is the only one I can name since I can't tell them all apart! Lemon is the tiniest one in the bunch and is by FAR the most docile. I already love her so much.

We also have two Cayuga ducklings, and while I love them, I think I am more of a chicken gal. I have kept them all in the same brooder this far, but tomorrow the ducks are moving to a new box because they are SOAKING everything! I think my chicks will be happier if their environment is drier.

Anywho... I look forward to posting here and interacting more with you all. Everyone had been so helpful so far!

P. S. do your brahma hens regularly get broody? I am already anticipating having to creat space for a broody coop along with their regular coop. Gotta get on that.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
. Duck are very good at making every thing messy and moist lol. I quickly found out that I preferred chickens

I am hoping they are pullets since I can't have a roo where I live.
sad.png
My favorite little baby is called Lemon. She/he is the only one I can name since I can't tell them all apart! Lemon is the tiniest one in the bunch and is by FAR the most docile. I already love her so much.

P. S. do your brahma hens regularly get broody? I am already anticipating having to creat space for a broody coop along with their regular coop. Gotta get on that.
smile.png
welcome to BYC, my brahmas are still too young to give you any information on broodiness.

Hi everyone, I'm looking for eggs, preferably Partridge Brahma but also open to Gold Laced.. I would like to find something closer to the east coast to cut down on shipping cost/risks.

I know there are lots of ebay listings but I prefer word of mouth referrals. Not so concerned with show quality but don't want ugly birds either. ;)

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Lookie Lookie! We are so excited!

She is so sweet! Just fluffs and chuckles. This is exciting but I kind of miss tripping over her in the barn yard. Our friendliest breakfast maker!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom