Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

6 week old what a cutie ;)

OK, will post when it happens...we've never introduced this early on, usually 4-6months and I think those were hard . In the past we separated them with a baby gate and it was very tiresome...I hope this goes much better. We've been letting them out in the day time and so far pretty good. Only Madonna the 14yr EE is interested and gave a good peck on the butt once., so not bad!
I'm introducing early this time too. It is hard. I keep the chooks in a cage in their run most of the time. I'll open the door and let them out when I have the time to sit there and referee. So far, no serious problems. One hen chases them, but she's big and not fast enough to catch them. Occasionally, they get cornered by her and then she'll give them a little peck. My rooster and most of the other hens completely ignore them (although they are terrified of him because of his size). My new coop set up will be better for them, all of the chooks will go in their own coop/run right next to the hens until I can sex them. Then, I'll put the pullets with the hens and the cockerels will move to the other side of the condo until I decide what to do with them.

Yeah, I find this integration thing really tiresome. I should probably buy some silkie eggs so that I don't have to do it anymore....let momma handle it!

Nice going and so early in the year. Mine are not doing that well. NW Pacific climes. I get 6/day from 8 hens. I have never seen such a diversified flock and elegant at that. I have a lavender and morans, chantecler, wellsummer, red comets, and an americauna. How did you start it? this spring I have a light brahma, jersey giant, and 2 barred rocks all 3 weeks old now. the light brahma is such a character too : )

Look at the chick in the center. Does it have too much black to be a light Brahma?
The other 2 chicks besides it are bantam cochin.

Today LaLa honked and honked til I checked her out, I thought she was choking, but she was moving a snake across the back yard onto the patio along with ChaCha and the other hens til they got it cornered at corner of back of house ...OMG!
I was able to get it into a container using a broom...so glad it wasn't a Rattler...looks like a Gardner, but I'm waiting til later to take a picture..I don't want to lift the lid..:)
duc.gif

Look at the chick in the center. Does it have too much black to be a light Brahma?
The other 2 chicks besides it are bantam cochin.

My light brahmas were very yellow and then turned white..maybe you have a dark brahma? Beautiful if it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom