Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typically darker down colored chicks mature in to birds with proper undercolor as adults. The standard calls for "delicate slatey blue" undercolor. Good under color results in good surface color, ie; good black markings where the bird is supposed to be black. It appears that your five week old birds' surface color is showing a bit light already. My light chicks vary a bit in down color from light smokey gray to darker almost black, some have a bit of smokey yellow. I'll try and find a pic.

This is probably a dumb question, sorry. What is toe punched?

It is a method of marking newly hatched chicks to identify which mating/pen they are from. A toe punch is used to punch a small hole in the webbing of a chicks foot. A whole series of hole combinations are possible to identify chicks. For example chicks with a hole punched in the outside web of the left foot are from X mating. Those with a hole punched in the inside web of the left foot are from Y mating....and so on and so forth. The punch can be purchased from any online poultry supply house and resemble finger nail clippers.

Tim

It is a method of marking newly hatched chicks to identify which mating/pen they are from. A toe punch is used to punch a small hole in the webbing of a chicks foot. A whole series of hole combinations are possible to identify chicks. For example chicks with a hole punched in the outside web of the left foot are from X mating. Those with a hole punched in the inside web of the left foot are from Y mating....and so on and so forth. The punch can be purchased from any online poultry supply house and resemble finger nail clippers.

Tim
Thanks Tim.
Next question, Crappy birds cost just as much to feed as good ones, I understand that. So where can I get good ones in WA. state, that have already been sexed? I'd be happy with one rooster, but not several. I can't cull. This is just an adventure to enjoy with my granddaughters. I don't know where to begin. I went to a poultry show last weekend, and was so unimpressed with the lt. and buff brahmas. They were the same size as any normal backyard hen, and from all I've learned on here, they should be a large bird with a broad head and inverted U, not V tails. So what to do?

Mine looked yellow too you could only see the grey in pictures i think it is a hatchery vs breeder thing

Very true. Even though I seen hatchery's show there chicks as the grey also. But are very black when older. I got these from TSC so they are hatchery birds. I want to get breeder birds soon. But raising a lot of breeder birds right now. LOL. Reds now and Delawares coming next month.

Typically darker down colored chicks mature in to birds with proper under color as adults. The standard calls for "delicate slatey blue" undercolor. Good under color results in good surface color, ie; good black markings where the bird is supposed to be black. It appears that your five week old birds' surface color is showing a bit light already. My light chicks vary a bit in down color from light smokey gray to darker almost black, some have a bit of smokey yellow. I'll try and find a pic.

That would be awesome. There undercoating is all white pretty much. They actually have more black where they are not suppose to have it. But these are a test for myself. I want breeder birds but I wanted to see the difference in them compared to hatchery birds so I will know the difference on down the line. For me and so I can also tell others the difference.
smile.png

Last edited:

That's daddy mummy is white, he's a bantam.

My brahma chicks have come out orange and some are a chocolate brown and a few yellows lol I'm
In the uk mine are red Pyle lol

my other breeding roo and one of his ladies xx

Last edited:
That would be awesome. There undercoating is all white pretty much. They actually have more black where they are not suppose to have it. But these are a test for myself. I want breeder birds but I wanted to see the difference in them compared to hatchery birds so I will know the difference on down the line. For me and so I can also tell others the difference.
smile.png
They won't listen. I started with hatchery birds. I actually had my first Brahmas from Murray McMurray in 1974! I was 11 then. I never knew the difference until I went to the FortWorth Stock Show MANY years later. I saw the true "standard bred" Brahmas in all their glory. Pictures and verbal descriptions really fall short. Thats why I am always telling people to go to an ABA/APA sanctioned show to see GOOD birds and meet breeders. VERY eye opening.

Again, NOTHING wrong with hatchery/backyard birds. If thats your interest, thats great. My interest is exhibition quality birds, so thats my perspective. NEVER my intent to offend anyone.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom