Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ladysranti, I'm sorry to bring this up again, but I have to say that I think you misunderstood BGMatt's comment. He didn't think you should have already known the difference between hatchery stock and breeder's birds, he meant that someone should inform you. There are no mean spirited people on this thread. I just thought you should know this. Sometimes text is misinterpreted, and I'm pretty sure that's the case here. If you or anyone want to help get that other thread going, I will join you. We can always check back here when we need answers. Just go to the top of this page and search backyard brahmas!! big medicine,
frow.gif
Thanks Vickis Girls, that's exactly what I meant. Sorry to have caused any ruckus. I'll go back to lurking and studying.

asking input here

I signed the boys up for American Brahma Club this last fall. We are going to our first show of the season tomorrow . We are taking some Brahmas Light/Buff. Anyway they(Brahma club) are having a meet at the show tomorrow. My question is can we go to the meet? Do I need to bring anything to show that they are members? This is our first club meet have no idea
hu.gif

Big medicine, you were fine. Seriously, you didn’t upset me. What got to me was BGMatt’s suggestion that I should have been born with the knowledge that brahmas have yellow legs and whatever kind of combs they’re supposed to have. I consider myself an intelligent person but the smartest person in the world isn’t born knowing everything.

I ordered buckeyes from a local breeder and received buff brahmas as a substitution because the buckeyes were not laying yet. I did not ask for them and know nothing about them. If I was supposed to go to an official buff brahma identification site and look that stuff up before posting here, then I’m sorry but I don’t consider myself pitiable because I got “swindled”. I don't want your pity.

I talked to the breeder who sold me the eggs last night via email and he seemed a little offended that I even suggested that they were a mix, telling me they take their breeding very seriously and that they were purebred. He also recommended that I don’t listen to BYC’ers in such matters as most of them are not qualified to make such determinations. Now, obviously he has his reputation and business to defend and I take that into consideration but I also think he has a point.

What it comes down to is that I am appreciative of the information provided by big medicine, thank you. That's what I'm here for, to learn! But still I take all information with a grain of salt. Also, and most importantly, I’m not going to breed these birds or show them. I purchased buckeyes initially for their foraging capabilities not for breeding and show and that’s the role these brahmas or whatever they are, are going to fill (as well as they can for what they are). According to Matt, that's probably all their worth anyway so...

If I have to meet some standard set up by this thread to post about my birds then forget it. I would love a backyard brahma thread.

I'm glad we are good.

Not to speak for someone else, but the way I interpreted BGMatt's response was that he wasn't assuming you should instinctavely know these things, but that he was supporting my pointing out some of the off characteristics of your chicks, and that you deserved to know these things.

As far as taking what you read here with some skepticism, I hardily agree. I have seen some fairly outlandish statements and claims made here over the years. You will get a feel for which ones to pay more heed to. I might suggest you send a copy of the pictures you posted to the hatchery, I would be curiuos as to their response reguarding the leg color, and combs.

Everybody is a novice at everything at some point. There is a wealth of information contained in this thread, take what is of value to you and learn. Some of the more advanced stuff may not concern some of you at this point in the development of your hobby, but that does not make it wrong that some of us put more emphasis on what we consider desirable features such as proper type and such. Enjoy your birds, and just think of those poor souls who haven't found Brahmas yet.

Edited to add, by the time it took me to peck this out, others had responded as well, it's all good.

Big medicine, you were fine. Seriously, you didn’t upset me. What got to me was BGMatt’s suggestion that I should have been born with the knowledge that brahmas have yellow legs and whatever kind of combs they’re supposed to have. I consider myself an intelligent person but the smartest person in the world isn’t born knowing everything.

I ordered buckeyes from a local breeder and received buff brahmas as a substitution because the buckeyes were not laying yet. I did not ask for them and know nothing about them. If I was supposed to go to an official buff brahma identification site and look that stuff up before posting here, then I’m sorry but I don’t consider myself pitiable because I got “swindled”. I don't want your pity.

I talked to the breeder who sold me the eggs last night via email and he seemed a little offended that I even suggested that they were a mix, telling me they take their breeding very seriously and that they were purebred. He also recommended that I don’t listen to BYC’ers in such matters as most of them are not qualified to make such determinations. Now, obviously he has his reputation and business to defend and I take that into consideration but I also think he has a point.

What it comes down to is that I am appreciative of the information provided by big medicine, thank you. That's what I'm here for, to learn! But still I take all information with a grain of salt. Also, and most importantly, I’m not going to breed these birds or show them. I purchased buckeyes initially for their foraging capabilities not for breeding and show and that’s the role these brahmas or whatever they are, are going to fill (as well as they can for what they are). According to Matt, that's probably all their worth anyway so...

If I have to meet some standard set up by this thread to post about my birds then forget it. I would love a backyard brahma thread.

atleast you got a reply about yours...i didnt get that much!

Five of the chicks that hatched today. Two are blue
lol.png
( I died them when they were embryos ). The one that looks like a light brahma is a male from a buffxlight cross.

Last edited:

Five of the chicks that hatched today. Two are blue
lol.png
( I died them when they were embryos ). The one that looks like a light brahma is a male from a buffxlight cross.
Before I saw what you typed at the end, I was going to say are those chicks blue! At first i put my glasses on, took them off and put the back on again lol, thought my eyes were playing tricks on m e for a second.Thats pretty cool how they are blue, how do you dye the embryos? Also your chicks are so cute!

It's not hard to dye them you just have to do it correctly or it doesn't over so well. What I did is I took a few eggs on day 15 ( read that 11 -14 is best ) and took them out of the incubator. Then I took and candled the eggs at the BOTTOM of the egg. I found this little pocket at the bottom where it seemed the chick hadn't grown over there yet. I put a tiny mark with a lead pencil about half an inch from the pointy end of the egg. Make sure you put the mark where a vein isn't. Then take a cotton swab and dip it in peroxide and clean an area about an inch in diameter around the mark. After this take and suck up about .5 CC of food coloring into a syringe with needle ( I used I believe a 22 gage ). Wipe that needle off with peroxide before injecting the egg. Just gently but firmly stab the needle into the mark you made with the pencil. Once it's in ( don't put it real far in ) SLOWLY inject the food coloring. Once it is in take some wax ( I used melted candle wax ) and put it over the hole to seal it up. Let it dry a second and put it back in. I reused the needle for all three eggs I did. Just be sure to sterilize it. It's not hard at all. Obviously a white colored chick would show the color better but this is what I had and I wanted to try it. If you have any questions about this just ask and I'll try to answer them.

It's not hard to dye them you just have to do it correctly or it doesn't over so well. What I did is I took a few eggs on day 15 ( read that 11 -14 is best ) and took them out of the incubator. Then I took and candled the eggs at the BOTTOM of the egg. I found this little pocket at the bottom where it seemed the chick hadn't grown over there yet. I put a tiny mark with a lead pencil about half an inch from the pointy end of the egg. Make sure you put the mark where a vein isn't. Then take a cotton swab and dip it in peroxide and clean an area about an inch in diameter around the mark. After this take and suck up about .5 CC of food coloring into a syringe with needle ( I used I believe a 22 gage ). Wipe that needle off with peroxide before injecting the egg. Just gently but firmly stab the needle into the mark you made with the pencil. Once it's in ( don't put it real far in ) SLOWLY inject the food coloring. Once it is in take some wax ( I used melted candle wax ) and put it over the hole to seal it up. Let it dry a second and put it back in. I reused the needle for all three eggs I did. Just be sure to sterilize it. It's not hard at all. Obviously a white colored chick would show the color better but this is what I had and I wanted to try it. If you have any questions about this just ask and I'll try to answer them.
That is really cool. I didn't know you could do such a thing, i mean i have seen people dye chicks after it hatches but to hatch out an orange, purple,etc. chick just sounds so much more cool. I might consider doing that one day just as a little experiment or something. Sounds like it worked out good for you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom