Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This guy is blue. You will have to have a blue bird or splash bird to get a blue bird. Crossing LB to DB will not make blue unless one of them IS blue or splash
Even if one, or both, of your light, or dark, was blue, you would still not get a solid unicolor blue chick. They would likely be patterned closer to a light(columbian) pattern, unless it was a splash, then the neck,wing,tail markings would also appear white-ish, giving the overall impression of a near solid white looking bird.

When a brahma is crossed to a cochin I realize is will present a couple problems. In the F2's( after the P generation and F1 of course ) single combs and vulture hocks will be at their high and glory. When I'm breeding my birds I will cull every single combed and vulture hocked bird. My question is should I cull the known carriers too?
In my experience, it will be much, much harder to clean up the hocks, than getting correct comb. If you have the room, and patience, to test mate, determining who might be carrying a hidden single copy of vulture hock, and avoiding them, you will speed up the refinement of your project greatly. Saving much time, and feed

In my experience, it will be much, much harder to clean up the hocks, than getting correct comb. If you have the room, and patience, to test mate, determining who might be carrying a hidden single copy of vulture hock, and avoiding them, you will speed up the refinement of your project greatly. Saving much time, and feed
Yup, what he said. I learned the hard way!

So in the dumb simple way a cochin would have the genotype of say vv and a brahma would have VV. V would stand for vulture hock with the smaller ones meaning they have it/are carriers and capital V would equal the dominant part saying they don't show it. The F1 generation would all be Vv if I'm correct? Then the next generation( F2 ) would result in 25% being VV ( not carriers and not showing it ), 50% would be Vv ( don't show it but are carriers ), and then a 25% that would be culled because they would have vv ( vulture hocks would be present ). For me I thought in order to determine who is a carrier I would take my F2's and their offspring would tell me who is VV and who is Vv. If any of their off spring have vulture hock I would know the male must be Vv and at least one of the females would be. Finding the female carriers would be harder to find in my opinion. I think I would some how separate them individually after they were bred and collect eggs. I would keep all separate until a decent amount of chicks were hatched. If any hen produced a vulture hocked bird I would know the male used to breed her and her would be Vv as they wouldn't have vulture hocks them self but produce vulture hocks. Then I have the issue of when I breed one VV bird to a Vv bird no offspring would show it but could be carriers. This is why I'm going to try and keep a 'family tree' of them so I can track which birds produced vulture hocks. Once I am certain I have found any one that is a carrier I will cull. Same thing would apply to the whole single comb and pea comb thing if I'm not mistaken. I think I have a good idea of what I will be doing once I start my project. Hopefully it won't take too long to get the color pattern correct. One thing I'm not certain of is whether I would take the F1 generation and cross it back to the P generation to help improve the color pattern but I would imagine bring me farther from the brahma type. Should I just cross them in the P generation and not cross back to the cochin again or cross the F1's back to The P generation?

I think we agree for the most part, (most of my brain is following the NFL draft right now, not sure what to make of the Browns pick)

Another option would be to keep a pair of vulture hocked F2, and single test mate each clean hocked bird to it's vulture hocked opposite. Any mating that produces any vulture hocked chicks proves the clean hocked bird is a carrier. This would remove the mystery of who your carriers are, produce less of them, and clean up your flock quicker.

So in the dumb simple way a cochin would have the genotype of say vv and a brahma would have VV. V would stand for vulture hock with the smaller ones meaning they have it/are carriers and capital V would equal the dominant part saying they don't show it. The F1 generation would all be Vv if I'm correct? Then the next generation( F2 ) would result in 25% being VV ( not carriers and not showing it ), 50% would be Vv ( don't show it but are carriers ), and then a 25% that would be culled because they would have vv ( vulture hocks would be present ). For me I thought in order to determine who is a carrier I would take my F2's and their offspring would tell me who is VV and who is Vv. If any of their off spring have vulture hock I would know the male must be Vv and at least one of the females would be. Finding the female carriers would be harder to find in my opinion. I think I would some how separate them individually after they were bred and collect eggs. I would keep all separate until a decent amount of chicks were hatched. If any hen produced a vulture hocked bird I would know the male used to breed her and her would be Vv as they wouldn't have vulture hocks them self but produce vulture hocks. Then I have the issue of when I breed one VV bird to a Vv bird no offspring would show it but could be carriers. This is why I'm going to try and keep a 'family tree' of them so I can track which birds produced vulture hocks. Once I am certain I have found any one that is a carrier I will cull. Same thing would apply to the whole single comb and pea comb thing if I'm not mistaken. I think I have a good idea of what I will be doing once I start my project. Hopefully it won't take too long to get the color pattern correct. One thing I'm not certain of is whether I would take the F1 generation and cross it back to the P generation to help improve the color pattern but I would imagine bring me farther from the brahma type. Should I just cross them in the P generation and not cross back to the cochin again or cross the F1's back to The P generation?
Vulture hocks are a DQ in Cochins also.

I now have 17 2 day old Baby chicks YEAH ME DB LF i am so Hyped Now i need some advice Please when they get older on who to keep Please im trying to bring up my flock and these are out of Bought eggs so No relation to my kids that are due the 29th

I forgot i am looking for NON Hatchery Light birds for a niece of mine anyone ? Eggs are ok since i live in oregon and have the Leahy will be fun for my great niece to see them hatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom