Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No where i was going was the NPIP certificate is only as good as the people who have them many cheat ,
we test for 2 things here so the lady who lives 5 blocks from me i got my chickens from origionally that has GM and got it from the same guy . Wont let the state know Because that little cert means something to her before her animals health ,

the Lady on CL that is selling roosters that has Merricks and wont tell the buyers who lost her NPIP yet still has the paper showing people YUPP ok what ever

they should test for all the diseases that they list instead only 1 or 2 ? I do not get it and secondly its not cheap and if they only test for a couple they should have a list on what whoes birds are clear of i would of never bought NPIP cert birds if i knew they had GM and not Typhoid . I mean really If we are paying a Government officeal and group to do a job they By golly DO IT ,

No matter what area of life u are talking about there will always be someone cheating.

Very true. I would call the show secretry and find out what the health/ testing requirements are. My birds are tested once a year. The tester gives me a document stating they are P/T free. I send a copy with my entry form to all shows I attend. Admittidly, I have only shown in Texas, Oklahoma and Indiana. Other states may have different requirements.

Tim

I feel the need to defend the folks associated with the NPIP. The NPIP brought the US poultry industry back from the brink in the 1930's, due to pullorum. Currently the majority of states are pullorum free. Over the years it has added more diseases to its surveillance. The majority of commercial producers at this time are MG, MS and MM clean as well. That's a feat difficult to achieve with hobbiest as we do not raise our flocks in a bubble. The program was expanded to hobbiest on a voluntary basis. Pullurom-typhoid and AI testing was considered the minimal requirement, because of their potential damage to the commercial industry and to human health, respectively. Participants can opt to test for more diseases. If you go to the APHIS website they list participants by state, what type of fowl were tested, and what was tested. See link http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/participants.shtml Its not a fair criticism to say the program is worthless because hobbiest who test for P-T and AI, turn up with other diseases. To avoid MG (and I want to, as I had a nearly year long battle with MS), find a participant who tests for it. I've seen them sporadically and choices will be limited. Also, bringing clean birds in, is not a guarantee that they will stay clean. That's the other part of the NPIP that helps hobbiest. Every participant gets a site inspection and minimal standards of infection control are promoted. I made several changes on the state vet's recommendation, and I'm better off for it.
Any participant can cheat the system but it is a great resource for those wanting to achieve a higher level of flock health. (Its voluntary not police work.)
I'm planning on testing for MG and MS starting in January 2014.

Last edited:
I feel the need to defend the folks associated with the NPIP. The NPIP brought the US poultry industry back from the brink in the 1930's, due to pullorum. Currently the majority of states are pullorum free. Over the years it has added more diseases to its surveillance. The majority of commercial producers at this time are MG, MS and MM clean as well. That's a feat difficult to achieve with hobbiest as we do not raise our flocks in a bubble. The program was expanded to hobbiest on a voluntary basis. Pullurom-typhoid and AI testing was considered the minimal requirement, because of their potential damage to the commercial industry and to human health, respectively. Participants can opt to test for more diseases. If you go to the APHIS website they list participants by state, what type of fowl were tested, and what was tested. See link http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/participants.shtml Its not a fair criticism to say the program is worthless because hobbiest who test for P-T and AI, turn up with other diseases. To avoid MG (and I want to, as I had a nearly year long battle with MS), find a participant who tests for it. I've seen them sporadically and choices will be limited. Also, bringing clean birds in, is not a guarantee that they will stay clean. That's the other part of the NPIP that helps hobbiest. Every participant gets a site inspection and minimal standards of infection control are promoted. I made several changes on the state vet's recommendation, and I'm better off for it.
Any participant can cheat the system but it is a great resource for those wanting to achieve a higher level of flock health. (Its voluntary not police work.)
I'm planning on testing for MG and MS starting in January 2014.

I am still in my first year of raising poultry and I got NPIP tested back in June. And I heard two of the birds I have in quarantine sneeze at different times and I called my NPIP agent and he will be out Fri. to test my birds for me! Now I believe that is service. I want people to know that I care and don't want to sell anyone anything that is not clean or has a disease. And I sure don't want anyone selling me anything that has a disease or something that will make me sick! NPIP I believe is helping to keep alot of these disease's out of our flocks.

Tennessee is not as tough as other states may be testing wise. If you have been NPIP tested, you will only need to produce a copy of the certificate and a visual inspection by a club member. Testing will be done at the show for birds or waterfowl that don't or has not been tested. If there are any birds or waterfowl that might be questioned sick, the owner will be notified and asked to remove the birds/waterfowl in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom