Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

These are my two new flocks of dark brahmas. Along with two two months old white silkies.

Up is the two months dark Brahma flock , consisting of four chicks.
Down is the newer 20 days old flock of five dark Brahma chicks. With two white silkies two months age.

Last edited:
I don't know, for the price they are asking for .22 lr ammo these days, if you can find it, I could probably finance a series of dedicated varmit mauls.
I've got about 4000 rounds that I'm having trouble feeding through my Walther. I was told to fire 2-300 rounds of CCI mini mags through it and then the feed problem would go away. Headed to the range this afternoon, I just don't shoot the rifle enough to use up that much ammo in my lifetime.
old.gif

I've got about 4000 rounds that I'm having trouble feeding through my Walther. I was told to fire 2-300 rounds of CCI mini mags through it and then the feed problem would go away. Headed to the range this afternoon, I just don't shoot the rifle enough to use up that much ammo in my lifetime.
old.gif

Gotten to the point anymore where most of my shooting is loaded one at a time, from the muzzle. Have a bench and targets set up here at the house. Using big ol rounds of firewood for backstop/target holders. When they get shot out, or start to break down, I plan to reclaim the round balls, melt them down and recast them.

I realize it seems to be the norm to kill the opossum, I don't understand why?....however I've never had a problem with them and have one named opie that runs around here having fun...they move in and the skunks move out.....and yes I belong to NRA am quite the hunter, and have a CC permit as well as more ammo than most. Just sayin. Live and let live...unless your gonna eat it!

bigz

I realize it seems to be the norm to kill the opossum, I don't understand why?....however I've never had a problem with them and have one named opie that runs around here having fun...they move in and the skunks move out.....and yes I belong to NRA am quite the hunter, and have a CC permit as well as more ammo than most. Just sayin. Live and let live...unless your gonna eat it!

bigz
Because the opossum could kill your chickens. My chickens are worth me to me than a opossums life. Especially since I had to pay for the chicken. I have heard of people eating a lot of things around her, but strangely enough never heard of someone eating opossum. They can also carry diseases

Last edited:

bigz

They might not kill and eat the big birds....I don't know. I have in fact caught them in the act of killing and eating my bantams. Always at night when the birds are sleeping. I have killed them with a .22, I have killed them with a .410. I used to trap them in live traps and relocate. They really became a problem this past year. If all I had at my disposal was a maul....I would have gladly used it. I have never eaten any of the skunks or coons I have killed either. My birds are pretty valuable to me, if not anyone else.

Tim

That's just bad thinking....I've lived in the woods my whole life (I'm 60) and have been raising chickens since I was 19 ...the opossums have been here the whole time...no diseases being spread and never a chicken ate....they have a purpose....some educated in country living should know they are no threat....please watch, wait and learn....and I know I pay more for my chickens and love them more than anyone....

bigz

Last edited:
I think Big Medicine caught him in the act, which is how we got on the topic of guns, he dispatched the varmint with a sledge. I never kill anything that I don't intend to eat unless it is killing something of mine. That said, usually a few shots of snake shot in the air will send the varmints scattering, provided that they are just showing interest and haven't gotten a hold on a chicken yet. I haven't had one that ran away come back yet, I have had to kill a couple of predators that actually were chewing on the dead chicken when I caught them.

Grew up on a farm, have seen all sorts of things go after your livestock when they are hungry. Here in New Mexico we have a few raccoons, but they've learned to stay away from my place. My biggest problem are cats and dogs, but we've been known to have a few hungry mountain lions show up every few years and so many coyotes that you don't dare even leave a dog outside at night.

If they are valuable and you care...lock up at night....I'm right and know it! Time for some to learn.
There isn't just one way to do something. While you feel that there is no need to kill a opossum, as they aren't a threat, others may feel differently. And in this case they are. At least they aren't just killing them for the heck of it, it is provoked. You asked why people kill opossum, and some of us simply gave you answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom