Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do u think happend?
This was the chick that hatched late, something in the digestive system wasn't quite right. Got constipated, couldn't go #2. I did everything that I could: gave sugar water by hand, added olive oil to water (hand fed), put in warm water bath...as I said, I did just about everything. There was something wrong, and it was God's will. Probably would have ended up being a cull, I'm guessing that it just wasn't strong enough. Died in my hands when I was trying to give it some water. All of the rest seem happy and healthy...although when this one died they all ran away from me, I think they thought that it was my fault.
idunno.gif

This was the chick that hatched late, something in the digestive system wasn't quite right. Got constipated, couldn't go #2. I did everything that I could: gave sugar water by hand, added olive oil to water (hand fed), put in warm water bath...as I said, I did just about everything. There was something wrong, and it was God's will. Probably would have ended up being a cull, I'm guessing that it just wasn't strong enough. Died in my hands when I was trying to give it some water. All of the rest seem happy and healthy...although when this one died they all ran away from me, I think they thought that it was my fault.
idunno.gif

It's sad. It is just part of it.Those sickly chicks that fail to thrive should be culled. You can nurse them along, baby them, give them all kinds of special attention...they usually die anyway. If they do live...they are never right, always sickly, poor immunity, undersized, not birds you want to breed from. I know it sounds harsh, its just more humane to cull them immediatly. The more you hatch, the quicker you will be able to identify the "fail to thrive" chicks.

Tim

This was the chick that hatched late, something in the digestive system wasn't quite right.  Got constipated, couldn't go #2.  I did everything that I could:  gave sugar water by hand, added olive oil to water (hand fed), put in warm water bath...as I said, I did just about everything.  There was something wrong, and it was God's will.  Probably would have ended up being a cull, I'm guessing that it just wasn't strong enough.  Died in my hands when I was trying to give it some water.  All of the rest seem happy and healthy...although when this one died they all ran away from me, I think they thought that it was my fault.  :idunno

I just had the same problem with two of my chicks. Both were pooping fine before, then they seemed constipated and got weak. I tried what I could, but they just didn't make it. They were really healthy chicks, too. Now my chicks who used to come fluttering up when I walked in are all laying in the back of the cage giving me the stink eye. And I am sicker than a dog so I don't want to handle them a whole bunch. But the rest seem healthy, but that was the same with the ones that died. I only have four chicks now, out of seven hatching from thirty six eggs.

Does anyone have any bantam buff brahma pullets or hens for sale? I lost my two hens last year and now only have the male left. If I can't find any, then the male is for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom