Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! Curious about the Brahmas, I think they are very pretty! Wondering though how they do in the snow? Seems like maybe they are not for my area, Northeast Ohio, with their furry feet
sad.png

Thx!

Quote:
I live in the high mountains of Montana and they have always done extremely well here. I've always free ranged most of my birds even in the snowy winter and they've done just fine. Brahmas are among the most cold hardy of breeds you can find, they seem to be able live in the coldest of regions without problems.

Last year -15 degrees Celsius

IMG_4991.jpg

IMG_5028.jpg

The poor girl at the front was moulting, too, but no real problems. They just returned to the coop during snowstorms. (oh, and some Vaseline on the combs and wattles when it went to -20!)

Mine have the option to go out everday, year round (South West Ohio). As long as the snow is less than a couple inches they will range, deeper than that not much point to it. They will come out and sit in the sun. Have never had an issue with feet icing up. The monsoon of a spring we had this year was a liitle harder on them, but not bad. Probably would have kept them up if I was showing.

Glad to hear that, it puts my mind at ease because I plan on letting mine do a bit of foraging and hate the thought of them being "cooped up"
lol.png
all winter! I'm surprised you don't have to worry about frostbite with the feathers on the feet getting wet. Or are there some precautions you take? I just called and added a Buff Brahma to my order. Can't wait!

Quote:
your roo is beautiful.. we dont get but a bit of snow each year.. and I did choose a bit on the fact that they are good with the cold.. what I didnt think of was the heat.. trying to get a cooling system set up especially for the LF dark Brahmas..

thanks for your pics..
Pink

Quote:
any good shots of that one with its head in the dish?... looks like a pretty bird... what is that coloring called?...

v.cyr :

Quote:
any good shots of that one with its head in the dish?... looks like a pretty bird... what is that coloring called?...

Georgeous!!
droolin.gif

We call this colouring Red Pyle, though I think it's also called Splash.

In Britain we seem to have a lot more colours which are recognised. He resulted from Blue Partridge Brahma X Blue Partridge Brahma, which gives 25% Gold (Partridge), 25% Red Pyle and 50% Blue Partridge Brahma.

He's a big fellow with green eyes.
Apr24201102.jpg

IMG_5201.jpg

This is his son( Gold Partridge Brahma mum)
IMG_1286%252520%2525281%252529.jpg

IMG_5181.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom