Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Janice (Sjisty), has some VERY beautiful birds. I had the pleasure, of seeing some of her birds, just this weekend, at a local swap. They were beautiful, as always.
droolin.gif

As many of you know...we owed 2 roos, from her lines. BEAUTIFUL, HUGE boys!! Everyone, who would visit our farm, or see pics of these roos, would just drool. They were 2 super sweet, big easy going roos. Kinda like big silly great danes, of the chicken World.
smile.png

We did make the decision, to sell these 2 roos, to someone I know for a fact, wanted them as mixed flock yard candy....and not for future money making breeding.
I had a BYC'r, offer me $100.00 per roo. BUT, they wanted these roos, as breeders. I passed on the offer, and sold the roos, for MUCH less, to the person I trusted.
We loved these roos, but also understood the limits, of using them on any kind of a breeder level. While I love Janice's Brahmas, and always will....we made the hard decision, to just concentrate on Brahmas, that adhere to the US standards.

Quote:
Good, very glad to hear that. The follow up step to that is to make sure he finds a home as the protector of a backyard flock with no breeding aspirations. This can be harder than you might think, I have sold culls as back yard layers, only to have someone later add $2+$2 and then finding eggs from these birds posted for sale.

I won't be rehoming him. He is with my general mixed flock of BCM and other breeds. He can protect the flock but won't be getting near my breeders, who will not be free ranging with him.

Quote:
Excellent choice! To each his own, but I am always glad to see someone work to improve the recognized varieties.

The American Brahma Club will have a table at the fast approaching Crossroads show. There will be some high quality birds for raffle from some of the country's top Brahma breeders. In addition to the birds, there will be lots of historical Brahma memorabelia for raffle as well. Club members manning the table will be able to point you in the direction of those with birds for sale. Stop by, join the club, buy a raffle ticket or just say hi. Hope lots of you will be showing Brahmas.

Tim L.

I really wish I could go to Crossroads! Tim you brought up yet another reason why I'm crying inside because I can't go!
hit.gif
Oh, well. I guess I can save up my money for five years and go to the next one, lol! I did however, go to the Big Sky Poultry Expo here in Montana, and found only one Brahma (buff bantam) mainly because all the other were molting, and the rest of the people from our club are going to Crossraods too. I wish I knew a few of those ppl so I could stow away!
wink.png

The hen I saw was from the best Buff Brahma bantam breeder in our state that I used to know but past away a couple weeks ago. This was the most camera shy hen at the show. She looked great, but as soon as she saw the camera come out she instantly refused to face me (or even broad side) and would try everything to escape the cameras view. So, I have some crappy pics of her that don't do her the least bit of justice, I thought I would post a few pics of her to see what the breeders say about her from what is remotley viewable.

Here she is! I'm going to buy some chicks from this gal's owner next year and try to carry on the line from the woman I loved so much in my youth and gave me the Brahma bug.

BuffHen.jpg

BuffHen3.jpg

BuffHen4.jpg

BuffHen1.jpg

BuffHen2.jpg

These were the only photos I could get that showed something about her at all. Let me know what you think!
smile.png

Jenn

(edited to correct some spelling)

Last edited:
I think that bird should have been left at home for condition alone Jenn. She appears to be sickly from the bubbly eye, and the shot of her foot indicates she was not even bathed. Her feather condition is horrible. VERY disrespectful of the breed for someone to show a bird in that condition.That being said...... She has a decent head and pretty good back width. I do not like the way she holds her tail. It appears wide at the base, but i really can't tell much about it from her stance. If she were bred to a male with an exaggerated, huge, wide tail...she might produce some decent offspring. Why not have some of your club mates bring you some good birds back from Indy?

Tim

Quote:
Their all beautiful but the splash blue laced are
droolin.gif

Thanks, I agree about the blue laced birds being more eye catching. Actually not sure if I really want to carry on with the blue lights or not. Too many irons in the fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom