Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Their all beautiful but the splash blue laced are
droolin.gif

Thanks, I agree about the blue laced birds being more eye catching. Actually not sure if I really want to carry on with the blue lights or not. Too many irons in the fire.

Gary-those are beautiful!!!!
droolin.gif
I'll have to get my butt in gear this weekend with Karen ( chickenstalker) She's spending the weekend with me:) I'll post photos of the BLR brahmas--"Peaches and Cream" haha fitting for two gorgeous girls....

Quote:
I know she's not in the greatest condition and she has a cold and a bad case of leg mites, but I see potential here. Being a very old bird could be the reason for the poor feather condition and the tail carraige. I'm going to be seeing some more of this guys birds in the spring to see what the younger looking one's look like and make my finnal choices there, I definitly agreee with you though and I also agree with the tail, needing work. I'll be looking for a male and possibly a female as well to cross this line with so I can get more of the type back in this line. I would love to send a person or two to bring back a few top quality birds back from Indy, but I don't even know the people going and I'm not sure they would be willing to do that for a stranger. I appreciate the critique Tim. Thank you so much.
smile.png

Jenn

Yay i am so extited for next year
smile.png
i am going to be getting 1-3 pairs of Patrige Bantam Brahams and maybe a pair of darks from the same breeder
wee.gif
Soo any one here have bantam Partiges?

I had a question- all the things i have read about Brahma's - that they do not handle confinement very well? The bantams ? If they are kept in a coop- and large run and then free range when able? Just curious

I need to find some LF Buff Brahmas. When i get back to montana next year or two I plan on breeding Brahmas there. But going for the more traditional colors. Even though I love all the new colors that are appearing.
droolin.gif

Inkheart.....I think Brahmas handle confinement very well in my experience.They actively seem to choose to be inactive!

I have quite a lot of Brahmas(refuse to count them as hubby will tell me I have far too many). They have the choice of free ranging 40 acres.....they don't. They are a bit 'couch potato' or back door potato, anyway. They hang around waiting to be fed.....a bit fat and very lazy. If no feed is forthcoming they waddle down to the agricultural shed (massive structure) where there are two hens with chicks and a third (antisocial) hen who can come out of the shed at any time of the day, but don't venture far. They all then sit on the straw, perch on the sheep hurdles, or scratch around on the livestock area. I shoo them out to get some exercise and they dust bathe/eat grass/scratch around .....and go back.

As for being in small cages....don't know about that, but they seem very happy confined to larger spaces.

Mine also like to come in the house given half a chance or to join the dog in the outhouse.

I'm comparing Brahmas to my other chickens.....Naked Neck, bright and resourceful, good foragers, La Flèche, amazing foragers who seem to be permanently on speed,Brahma crosses.....good layers and fair foragers.

Last edited:
I'm looking for some show quality dark brahma bantams for my youngest daughter. She is going to start 4-H next year. Many years ago, my father raised really nice show quality brahmas and he sold them all when he got out. I was way to young to realize what he was doing. Thanks

Quote:
Just wanted to say you are 100% on the mark about the Brahmas, mine love to hang out at the back door and 1 has even come through the doggie door. they have the opportunity to forage on our property 5 acres, 40wow that would be nice. but they are home bodies for the most part. They are the last ones to go into the coop at night too wanting to get the last bit of food to hold them over till morning.
tongue.png
They are very laid back, so different than my games.

Quote:
True! We call our speed bumps! They are never in a hurry-mopey and downright mellow. Mine have a 10 x 10 indoor coop. They get let out everyday for fresh air and outside goodies...They wander about 10-15 ft from the door and that's it-over 6 acres!

Just though I'd give one more vote for the lazy Brahmas. I know I'm seeing the effects of fat lazy less frequent laying Dark Brahma hens. I'm making it a point to keep my new pullets a little trimmer and exercise them some how. I have to admit though, the plump 14 week cockerels are starting to look.... I understand as they were used as a DP bird many yers ago and stay tender to an older age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom