Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
These Dark Brahma are 3 wks old now. Can you tell male from female yet? I would think female except 2 of them are so BIG. The size of our huge Cuckoo Marans rooster when he was this age. So the size makes me think male. I love this breed so far. Such chunky little babies.

I have one male and 6 females right now that are 4 weeks old. All of the females have wings that reach their tail and tails that are about 1 - 1.5 inches long. The male's wings are about a half inch short of his rear and his tail is only a half inch long. He also hasn't feathered out on his neck yet and all of the girls have. He walks a lot taller than them, too. Going on my admittedly limited experience, I'd say yours are boys. That's an awfully tiny tail for 3 weeks.

I have one male and 6 females right now that are 4 weeks old. All of the females have wings that reach their tail and tails that are about 1 - 1.5 inches long. The male's wings are about a half inch short of his rear and his tail is only a half inch long. He also hasn't feathered out on his neck yet and all of the girls have. He walks a lot taller than them, too. Going on my admittedly limited experience, I'd say yours are boys. That's an awfully tiny tail for 3 weeks.
they look like girls...the dark brahma roos are black with white heads and the hens are black with the grey/white lacing on the feathers

Haha! Ok, we're running 1 for 1 :) They're only 3 wks old, maybe it's still too early to tell by wing lacing yet. Whatever 1 is they all are because except for size they're identical.
Any other thoughts from anyone?
Nicky & Nikki-thanks!

They're girls. Boys don't have so much lacing. They will have a bar of white across their wings. These guys are older, but notice a cockerel and a pullet at the bottom of the picture.

Here's one of my 11 Light Brahma chicks, 4 weeks old. They were all quite solid black as chicks and now they are looking like this with more white coming in. I really can't tell who is a hen and who is a rooster. I will have to wait until they start crowing. When will they start crowing? :)

They're girls. Boys don't have so much lacing. They will have a bar of white across their wings. These guys are older, but notice a cockerel and a pullet at the bottom of the picture.
Thank you thank you thank you! I've been doing a ton of reading and looking at pictures and I think girls also. I read wing growth was 1 indicator and that boys grow super slow and don't have such long secondary wing feathers yet. These 4 have have super long ones. They also don't *act like boys. I got so dang lucky. I gave one away as a pet to a young girl and now I feel bad because it was probably a boy, it hadn't grown the secondary wing feathers yet.
2 of them are huge for girls then. Dang, they're Amazons.

Last edited:
First show of the season and we won
thumbsup.gif

we beat the Cochins and Silkies
celebrate.gif

Awesome! I don't mind being beaten occasionally by a Cochin, but a Silkie...no way! Are you hatchying any birds?

Tim

Quote:Originally Posted by 4-hmother

First show of the season and we won
thumbsup.gif

we beat the Cochins and Silkies
celebrate.gif

Tim,

We are hatching every Wed. We raised this hen from a chick we got last spring. We got a pair of Buff and Lights from you and the other guy at cross roads. So we are hatching from yours and ours. You and the other guy told us some good info at Indy in picking out show stock. And we have been culling our hatches by this. We have been hatching since Dec.but these are two young yet for showing. cant wait to see results.
We have another show in two weeks.
Thanks for all the help
hugs.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom