Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don, could you explain the Light/Dark cross and how it would/could be used to improve the Darks? I got some Dark bantams from Jimmy Rust this spring. He said Bob said crossing Lights onto Darks was a BIG mistake. There are others over at showbird that are using it to improve Large and bantam darks. They insist the F-1 generation would more closely resemble columbian. Crossing these f-1s onto each other would produce some birds that would be closer to silver penciled. The F-2s could be bred back to darks, or other F-2s. Of course the entire point would be to get the type of the Lights in properly colored Darks. There are better Large Darks than Bantams, however both lag far behind the lights and buffs. It will most likley be SEVERAL years if EVER, before a Dark bantam wins BB. Of course large darks are in a better state. I did not see ANY large darks at Crossroads to get excited about, AND there was only ONE Bantam dark in a VERY large bantam class. Would appreciate your insight. Missed you at Crossroads?

Tim

Last edited:
Don, could you explain the Light/Dark cross and how it would/could be used to improve the Darks? I got some Dark bantams from Jimmy Rust this spring. He said Bob said crossing Lights onto Darks was a BIG mistake. There are others over at showbird that are using it to improve Large and bantam darks. They insist the F-1 generation would more closely resemble columbian. Crossing these f-1s onto each other would produce some birds that would be closer to silver penciled. The F-2s could be bred back to darks, or other F-2s. Of course the entire point would be to get the type of the Lights in properly colored Darks. There are better Large Darks than Bantams, however both lag far behind the lights and buffs. It will most likley be SEVERAL years if EVER, before a Dark bantam wins BB. Of course large darks are in a better state. I did not see ANY large darks at Crossroads to get excited about, AND there was only ONE Bantam dark in a VERY large bantam class. Would appreciate your insight. Missed you at Crossroads?

Tim
Tim, When Barb Piper got out of the Brahma large fowl was the apparent end to large fowl Darks that can win best of breed and best of show. There is only one way to easily make the Dark and Light cross looking for good colored females right from the get go. Take a Dark Male and breed over real good colored light females. The females will be very nice and breed them back to a Pure bred Dark male. Cull all the 1st generation males from your place and mark all the pullets so there can be no mix up.The males in the f-2 will show some with more white than desired but the majority will be very nice.

The first thing most do is get the combination wrong, always use a male that you want the finished product to look like.

In the old days breeders used the light females with a Buff male to improve the black markings on the buffs.

Tim, will PM you later with some information on the Dark Large fowl that I am not priviledge to post on the forum.

I have made these crosses many times in Bantam and Large fowl.

Thank you Don. I will try it with my Bantams first. My light bantams are as as good as there are now. That should work to my advantage. I'll use a dark male I raise this year, or try and get a better one from JR this fall. Appreciate your advice.

I got your PM and responded. It is good to hear from you again.

Tim

I am new to bantam buff Brahmas and would appreciate some tips on picking out the best birds to work with. I read that some of the experienced breeders can cull for color right away and I am wondering what the ideal chick color is. I hatched 8 chicks from a trio (owned by a friend) purchased directly from John Neff and I also have bantam buff Brahma eggs incubating from birds purchased from Darlene Hobbs. I am really taken with this breed and look forward to working with them
big_smile.png

I am new to bantam buff Brahmas and would appreciate some tips on picking out the best birds to work with. I read that some of the experienced breeders can cull for color right away and I am wondering what the ideal chick color is. I hatched 8 chicks from a trio (owned by a friend) purchased directly from John Neff and I also have bantam buff Brahma eggs incubating from birds purchased from Darlene Hobbs. I am really taken with this breed and look forward to working with them
big_smile.png

Hi, The only thing I would cull fore before at least 30 days old, would be blemishes such as eyes, toe no feathering, straight comb.

You can pick the young with decent potential for type early on, such as good size head, they either have a good head or they don,t. The breast and body type shows up early also.

When they are a little older cull the females that do not have the dewlap, I never breed these.

The hardest thing to get back if lost is head size and type. New breeders should keep in mind that to be successful you will have to be able to cull your flock real hard every year. Most new owner will completely destroy fowl from a good source in three year because they do not ask for help and will not cull as necessary.

Hi, The only thing I would cull fore before at least 30 days old, would be blemishes such as eyes, toe no feathering, straight comb.

You can pick the young with decent potential for type early on, such as good size head, they either have a good head or they don,t. The breast and body type shows up early also.

When they are a little older cull the females that do not have the dewlap, I never breed these.

The hardest thing to get back if lost is head size and type. New breeders should keep in mind that to be successful you will have to be able to cull your flock real hard every year. Most new owner will completely destroy fowl from a good source in three year because they do not ask for help and will not cull as necessary.
Thank-you SO much! That is very helpful!
big_smile.png

Define "raise". Not sure I understand the question. Are you asking if a capon is able to reproduce? A capon is a male with his testicles removed.

On crossing the Buffs and Lights. It can be done. I considered it with my Bantams a few years back. There are plenty of good Buffs and lights around. I would recommend you find the best you can of both varieties and stay within the variety. You will have issues with several generations in your male offspring. Gary put out some good info a few pages back about crossing lines even in the same variety. I would think those issues might be amplified crossing the varieties. My buddy Greg Williams did do it with the Bantams and greatly improved the Lights. However, his genetic knowledge would at least approach Gary's. He (Greg) advised me against it(buffxlight), and he and Chad(Spence/Williams) gave me some excellent typed Lights. I have built my light line on those birds.

Hopefully Gary can decipher my mumbo-jumbo and put it in terms that can be understood. Another of his many talents.

Tim
Sorry Tim, slacking here, was up north helping out the folks, then got back here just in time to lose electricity.

I would hazard to guess that Greg is much better versed in genetics than I am. As far as translating all this from Timspeak, I think the main take home message here after the fact is "Brahmas good".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom