Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question with my broody. .....
The three EE's I have in the coop with the Brahmas are laying in a different box. They were added later, and I think they aren't as welcome in the boody box as the other brahmas. I think that the others are either A: not laying, or B: laying under the boddy hen. Will that be what happens for the whold time, or will she decide she has enough and stop them. I wonder, because if they all lay each day in the same box, other than the HUGE mound of eggs... there will be chicks of many different stages of development when they start to lay again...

Any halp would be appreciated :)

Unless you move, or at least put a physical barrier around the broody, rarely will this turn out well. The other hens will continue to dump nest on her. Most likely ending up with more eggs than she can cover, resulting in started eggs getting rotated to the outside, or too deep in the nest to maintain temp. and dying in shell. Depending on the nature of the hen, when the first chick hatches, she may leave the nest, resulting in the rest of the later layed eggs to cool and die. Or because the majority of the younger, or already dead eggs have not hatched she may stay on the nest and not go to the chick when he ventures out, and it will get cold and die. You could check under her every day and take the chicks as they hatch and put them under a light.

Last edited:
Too true. I have been removing the eggs every other day or so. Easy to tell the difference, the fertile eggs are D'Anver's and almost half the size of the brahmas eggs. Thankfully, Snowi is not a great layer. I find a new egg about every three days.

If I were to get a Brahma rooster from a breeder, would I end up with a friendlier rooster? (Since I would assume that breeders breed for temperament as well as conformation.) I only have two roosters right now, which are my first. The Blue Andalusian has got to go. He has already flogged me once at 18 weeks. Enough of that! The Brahma rooster has shown no sign of aggression towards me (yet, but he is maturing slower). I'm hoping the Brahma will turn out ok because I would like to keep mostly Brahmas anyway. What can I expect from a Brahma rooster? What should I consider when deciding if a rooster is worthy of keeping (temperament, not conformation)? My Brahma rooster is chasing after the girls right now and they are trying to run away from him. He does grab onto their neck feathers to mate them, but they do not have bald backs yet. The other rooster has caused bald backs. It's almost a bit comical with the Brahma, though, because all he wants to do 24/7 is chase after the girls. They don't get a break from him. Will he settle down with time or is he always going to be so amorous?

Almost all my Brahma roosters have been friendly to the point of being happy to be held and never to show any sign of aggression towards humans. Handle them early to maintain yourself as 'top of the pecking order'.

If a rooster is significantly aggressive to humans he has to go in my opinion.

We've handled ours every single day since we got them, the only one that is still a fighter is Nathalie the SLW. I kind of enjoy the challenge with her though, it's like breaking a horse and my wife is already timid about handling her. Makes her more of a daddy's girl I guess!

Quote:
Thanks, What is the best way to move her. The box is not moveable.... something to remedy in the future.... But should I just take a tote in there.... pick out the eggs, then put her on top and move the whole thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom