Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 6 pips on my GLBs so thanks to those who told me not to give up on them because there wasn't any signs of life after that nasty temp spike. I don't know if they will hatch out 'normal' or not though...or at all..but at least my hopes are up now with 6 ginormous pipped eggs. Thanks again.
fl.gif

I think my babies are 50/50 Roo/Hen
Am I correct in thinking that the blacks are Roos?? And they are slow on getting feathers than the others.

Your partridge males should have black feathers on their chest/belly as they mature. At least with my birds, the males go through a phase early on, where they have a featherless patch on their shoulders, which can give you a pretty good guess at sex ratios.

Anybody heard anything out of Tim lately ? With the weather cooling, I imagine it is a busy time in the world of propane, and propane accessories, I tell you what.

Hi there. I'm fairly new to the forums, (not to chickens).

I just replaced my nervious Americana rooster with a lovely Light Brahma rooster. What a difference he has made to life here! We had been wanting a Brahma after doing our homework on gentle breeds, but...you know how it is...there is always that 'will it work out like it is supposed to work out or will he be worse natured than the Americana rooster?' moment. It worked out!! He is a wonderfully placid rooster, not a very loud crow (we live on a micro farm, that is to our advantage here) and extremely friendly--he will eat out of my hand. He was hand raised (but so was our old rooster) and has no people anxiety at all. We've never had a Brahma in the flock, and I am utterly delighted. Next will be a Brahma hen (or two!). We have room for a few more birds in the spring.

This picture is of him in his 'holding pen' right before he was added to the flock:

Julie

Beautiful birds, Sally! This thread is full of lovely Brahmas, I need to take a longer look after posting this. :) There are just so many pages
ep.gif

I woke up at 12:15 and my husband said "honey you have a peeper in there" lol! I looked and there she (hopefully a she) is. Her peeping sounds wobbly, which concerns me a bit, but then other times it's a loud peep. She looks really dark right now, but I think that's because she's sticky and slimy and new.

Any way to sex these little ones by appearance or does wingfeather sexing work on them at all?

She has cute little fuzzfeet

Hi there. I'm fairly new to the forums, (not to chickens).

I just replaced my nervious Americana rooster with a lovely Light Brahma rooster. What a difference he has made to life here! We had been wanting a Brahma after doing our homework on gentle breeds, but...you know how it is...there is always that 'will it work out like it is supposed to work out or will he be worse natured than the Americana rooster?' moment. It worked out!! He is a wonderfully placid rooster, not a very loud crow (we live on a micro farm, that is to our advantage here) and extremely friendly--he will eat out of my hand. He was hand raised (but so was our old rooster) and has no people anxiety at all. We've never had a Brahma in the flock, and I am utterly delighted. Next will be a Brahma hen (or two!). We have room for a few more birds in the spring.

This picture is of him in his 'holding pen' right before he was added to the flock:

Julie
Welcome to the forum, and more importantly Brahmas.

Getting your first Brahma can be a mixed blessing. On the plus side are the obvious good looks, and wonderfull temperment. Now the possible down side, we touched on this here, a week or so back, and they don't tell you this on the American Brahma Club site, or quarterly newsletters, is that you are on a slippery slope my friend. It starts out innocently enough, you get your first Brahma, and are soon taken by their majestic bearing, and calmness. You soon start to realize how plain your other chickens look, and become aware of, let's say, their sometimes less than pleasant demeaner. And as you have already stated, the urge to add more Brahmas to your flock is only natural. Some people try to deny the inevetable transition to a all Brahma flock,(dak) but deep down you will come to know it is the only truelly sensible outcome..

Now where some people have difficulties is once they discover the wonderfull world of Brahmas, is if they realize all the time, feed, and effort they have spent raising lesser chickens. I quess the best spin I can put on that is to think of all you learned in the process, such as a coon really can squeeze through an opening that small, and so forth. Look at it as your practice chickens, let's call them, took the learning curve, and let you work the bugs out. Now you are wiser and about to take the natural step that will greatly increase the enjoyment you get from your flock.

In closing, again welcome, and don't dwell on how long it took you get your first Brahma. It's really not your fault, you just did not know any better.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, and more importantly Brahmas.

Getting your first Brahma can be a mixed blessing. On the plus side are the obvious good looks, and wonderfull temperment. Now the possible down side, we touched on this here, a week or so back, and they don't tell you this on the American Brahma Club site, or quarterly newsletters, is that you are on a slippery slope my friend. It starts out innocently enough, you get your first Brahma, and are soon taken by their majestic bearing, and calmness. You soon start to realize how plain your other chickens look, and become aware of, let's say, their sometimes less than pleasant demeaner. And as you have already stated, the urge to add more Brahmas to your flock is only natural. Some people try to deny the inevetable transition to a all Brahma flock,(dak) but deep down you will come to know it is the only truelly sensible outcome..

Now where some people have difficulties is once they discover the wonderfull world of Brahmas, is if they realize all the time, feed, and effort they have spent raising lesser chickens. I quess the best spin I can put on that is to think of all you learned in the process, such as a coon really can squeeze through an opening that small, and so forth. Look at it as your practice chickens, let's call them, took the learning curve, and let you work the bugs out. Now you are wiser and about to take the natural step that will greatly increase the enjoyment you get from your flock.

In closing, again welcome, and don't dwell on how long it took you get your first Brahma. It's really not your fault, you just did not know any better.
roflmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom