Brahmas/Cochins not laying.

HuestisFarm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Fly Creek, NY
My Light Brahmas & my Cochins have yet to start laying. Could I possibly just be confusing the eggs I'm getting with some of theirs? They're all about a year old & the person I got them from said he wasn't getting many eggs from them. I know they don't officially mature until they're around 2y/o, but I've heard they begin laying way before this! Is there something I should be doing for them that I'm not??

Last edited:
At a year old your brahmas should be laying. Past the pullet egg stage I've found most of my brahma eggs are almost round (or rounder than a store bought egg at least) and have the lovely color of a porcelain doll's face. Not quite pink, but a pretty beige. Do any of your eggs look like that?
Beyond providing them with their layer feed and oyster shell I don't know of anything that you can do different.
Here's a bump so maybe someone else will weigh in on it.

Yeah - a lot of my eggs look like this... but all of my chickens are brown egg layers... *hehe* (except for my Bantams & my three Leghorns). I don't know - they're getting their laying mash & their oyster shells.... I guess I can just crack it up to the changing of the season & the shorter days. We've yet to get a light up in their coop.

Thanks for the reply, though... I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing something for them that I should be.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom