Brama rooster entering the flock

Nibs19

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2023
New to the group!

What can I expect if I have added a 4 month old Brama to my flock. I have around 10 laying hens at the point and a Orpington rooster that looks after them. Also have about 15 - 2 month chicks growing and those roosters will be going. Question - should the Orpington get too jealous of the Brama at this point ?

New to the group!

What can I expect if I have added a 4 month old Brama to my flock. I have around 10 laying hens at the point and a Orpington rooster that looks after them. Also have about 15 - 2 month chicks growing and those roosters will be going. Question - should the Orpington get too jealous of the Brama at this point ?
Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

Have they been penned separately for a week or two so they can see each other?

I only raise silkies and adding a rooster always causes bumps. Usually, we let them work it out. There's always a fight or two, as one has to be the head rooster, and the other becomes less dominant. I currently have an old rooster, and two more hitting that age and they are figuring out their order as we speak.

4-months old for a silkie is way too young, but for a Brahma, it's probably perfect age and I'd give it a try to see how they act, but not just throw them together without them having some time to see each other in advance.

Back
Top Bottom