Bramas

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chari, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Chari

Chari Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Brookville Indiana
    Does anyone have pictures of a Brama hen and rooster? I think I have two hens but am not sure.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What color? And what age are you looking at? I have multiple pics of my brahma flock.

3. Chari

Chari Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Brookville Indiana
    They are about 5 months old, and they are a dark gold with greenish black tail feathers. I didn't know what they were. They were just two little fluff balls in a box at a flea market, They sure are sweet and friendly chickens

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    This is a buff hen, about 7 months old:

[​IMG]

I don't have a buff rooster, but here is a pic of my dark brahma rooster - you can clearly see that in front of his tail he has pointed saddle feathers. A hen would not have the pointed ones:

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of the same rooster when he was about 5 months old:

[​IMG]

5. Chari

Chari Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Brookville Indiana
    Thanks so much for the pics and info. What a handsome rooster. Is there any thing special I need to know to help keep my girls healthy and happy?

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    If you have buff Brahmas, here are a couple of pictures of some of mine. They are a very easy-going breed, good foragers, and are pretty consistent laying eggs. Mine lay about 3 eggs every 4 days.

By the way, a green sheen to the tail feathers may mean you have roos. Do you have any pictures?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Chari

Chari Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Brookville Indiana
    I think you are right.I think I have two rooster. What am I going to do when they get grown? I realy like them.[​IMG]

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Brahmas are very easy birds to care for. They withstand cold and heat very well. Just good food, clean water and a safe coop are all you really need.
    If you have some roos, best to advertise them to good homes now. People generally want younger birds.

9. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    No pics sorry, but BTW it's "brahma" not "brama" [​IMG]

10. Chari

Chari Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Brookville Indiana
    Thanks Nick, spelling was never my strong point:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by