Brand choices for chicken feeds (how do I know who is "best"?)

Rc_Rosealetta

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2020
Elyria, OH
Fellow chicken tenders,

I'm fairly new to having my flock (got them in August already laying). The feed that they were on, I cannot get where I live as I drove an hour to get them. Since that bag ran out, I've had them on Purina Omega Crumbles and Pellets as they seem to like one over the other on a day-by-day-basis. I'm not sure they "love" it. And the scratch grains I give they're not super interested in either...

How did you choose what you're feeding?

What I have available to me locally:
Purina (TSC)
Nutrena (TSC/Rural King)
Dumor (TSC)
Producer's Pride (TSC)
Nature's Best (TSC)
Blue Seal (TSC)
Country Road (Rural King)
Kent (Rural King)
Buckeye (ohio brand)

Online Delivery available:
Kalmbach
Henny Penny
anything on Chewy.com or Amazon

Which do you/your flock like? How did you choose that brand/variety/flavor? Which would you recommend from what's available to me? I'm located in Ohio if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Fellow chicken tenders,

I'm fairly new to having my flock (got them in August already laying). The feed that they were on, I cannot get where I live as I drove an hour to get them. Since that bag ran out, I've had them on Purina Omega Crumbles and Pellets as they seem to like one over the other on a day-by-day-basis. I'm not sure they "love" it. And the scratch grains I give they're not super interested in either...

How did you choose what you're feeding?

What I have available to me locally:
Purina (TSC)
Nutrena (TSC/Rural King)
Dumor (TSC)
Producer's Pride (TSC)
Nature's Best (TSC)
Blue Seal (TSC)
Country Road (Rural King)
Kent (Rural King)
Buckeye (ohio brand)

Online Delivery available:
Kalmbach
Henny Penny
anything on Chewy.com or Amazon

Which do you/your flock like? How did you choose that brand/variety/flavor? Which would you recommend from what's available to me? I'm located in Ohio if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
I always use the same thing, Purina, mine love it.

I have a local feed store that I trust. Just the other day I sent DH for the first bag of layer feed and told him, "Get what they recommend. I don't care if it's pellet or crumble but if there's a choice get the higher protein."

My rationale for that last being that they get a lot of veggie trimmings and random scraps (though I try not to over-do the starchy stuff), and spend a lot of time foraging in their pen so they ought to have a higher protein feed to make sure they're getting a good balance.

These girls are young, but with the in-town flock I never had any issues with the chickens not liking whatever feed I gave them.

I used the Nutrena Naturewise All Flock Pellet - low waste, and my birds loved it, though it was more expensive than the Purina Flock Raiser Crumble which I would pick up as (cheaper) substitute. Pellet worked better in my J-style feeders, less clumping on high humidity days, and less waste overall (though the Purina bag was 10# heavier for only $1 more)...

I've swapped to a mix from a local mill, their 16% layer and their 24% Game Bird, giving me a 20% final with some added calcium. Its damned near powder, so I'm serving it as a fermented mash and not using the J feeders at all. And I'm doing it because I can buy 200# of it for less than 120# of the Nature Wise.

But if buying in those quantities isn't practical, or you have no local mills, I can recommend either of the products I first listed, both available thru TSC (and FarmKing, I think). Whatever you do, don't forget to free choice oyster shell.

I use Dumor crumbles. I have never used pellets.

Plus Dumor just changed the bag so that it looks more like a purina bag.

I've tried that fancy stuff like, "This has special ingredients, your hens love it!" and my chickens end up hating it.

Freshness counts. There will be a mill date somewhere on every bag. On Purina it is on the bottom seam strip. Nutrena has it under the bar code on the tag.
Buy some he freshest possible....always.
I try very hard not to buy feed that was milled more than a month before I buy. Not something that is always possible.
Feed degrades beginning on the date it was milled. After 6 months the nutrients are so degraded it is pretty useless to the birds.

That said....I like Purina Flock Raiser crumbles due to less dusty powder than I find in other brands.
If I cannot get fresh Flock Raiser I get Nutrena All Flock or Nutrena Nature Wise layer. I will not feed layer to my ducks as I have a drake but my chickens can eat it.

Also important..... Never ever go to buy feed when you are down to less than a weeks worth. You may find there isn't any of what you prefer to buy.

I recently switched from Nutrena Starter/Grower crumbles to Purina Flock Raiser crumbles. It seemed like EVERY bag of Nutrena crumbles was 90% dust and was getting very frustrating!

My girls seem to really like the flock raiser, and I like the high protein for them. I was going to switch them to the Nutrena Hearty Hen pellets once everyone was laying because I like the fact that it is non-soy, and was thinking probably won't be so dusty.

I am also near 2 local mills, Scratch n Peck and Conway Mill. I might switch to the Conway Mill because it's all local and the prices are very good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom