Brand new owner of 2 rescue ducks, is this bumblefoot???

Doodleloo

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2022
Hey all! Two days ago, after much prep and planning, I went and picked up two female Muscovy ducks from a rescue here in Texas. This is our first duck experience and now I'm freaking out inside because I think one of them came with bumblefoot! I managed to get a hold of here which was terrifying to us both (I hated to damage our relationship so soon, I was planning on very slowly warming up with them and now they're even more terrified of me 🥺)
I soaked it in Epsom salt for about 5 mins before she freaked out and spilled it, and then I managed to get a couple more minutes in a saline soak. I couldn't get any scab off. I sprayed it with hydrogen peroxide and also managed to get mupirocin cream on gauze and a wrap around it.
Does this look like bumblefoot? Any advice???
PXL_20220405_230836083.jpg

It looks like the start of one but it's not bad so just keep up with what your doing.
She'll forgive you if you share mealworms after. lol
Don't use peroxide anymore though it will damage skin.
If you wrap her in a towel she'll be easier to work on.
Congrats on your new Muscovy they are the nicest ducks. They fly though so make sure they are kept in a covered run or clip one wing to keep them grounded.

It looks like the start of one but it's not bad so just keep up with what your doing.
She'll forgive you if you share mealworms after. lol
Don't use peroxide anymore though it will damage skin.
If you wrap her in a towel she'll be easier to work on.
Congrats on your new Muscovy they are the nicest ducks. They fly though so make sure they are kept in a covered run or clip one wing to keep them grounded.
I can't thank you enough for your reply, my adrenaline is still high and I'm still a bit panicky haha. I am definitely going to get some mealworms tomorrow before I wrangle her again!
Is it possible for it to heal without getting the scab off?
I dumped out their pool for the night (it was nasty anyhow 😂) to keep her bandage dry. Should I keep her out of water/bandaged all day/night until it's gone? (Cleaning and re-bandaging of course) or is it better to let her swim a lot? They came to me kinda dirty, and as soon as they got in their pool here they were so clean and fluffy so I'm wondering if they didn't have water access much before.
Sorry for so many questions, I appreciate your help so very much. I'm in love with these girls already and I hate that this is happening 😔

Actually this maybe just skin raised and not bumble. There is a name for it but for the life on me i cannot remeber what it's called I think I found it. Read this and see what you think. I had a Muscovy drake that had something very similar. I used hydrocortisone cream on his and it got much better. Just thinking your girls really doesn’t look like bumble especially with Out a scab. Soaking and swimming will probably help soften the skin too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicks-foot-doesn’t-look-right.1346241/page-2. Start with post 14

Actually this maybe just skin raised and not bumble. There is a name for it but for the life on me i cannot remeber what it's called I think I found it. Read this and see what you think. I had a Muscovy drake that had something very similar. I used hydrocortisone cream on his and it got much better. Just thinking your girls really doesn’t look like bumble especially with Out a scab. Soaking and swimming will probably help soften the skin too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicks-foot-doesn’t-look-right.1346241/page-2. Start with post 14
I was thinking I can't find a picture of bumblefoot that looks like my girl's foot 🤔 there really isn't like a central scab or anything. Was it the keratosis pilaris that they're referring to in that post that you think this might be?
Thank you so much for your reply, I'm so new to bird ownership that having this in the first few days feels daunting! The thought of having to catch her again has me losing sleep 😂

Yes, that is what I am thinking it may be. Of course, you need to watch it to make sure it doesn't turn into bumble but for now, I'd treat it as keratosis pilaris.
Love some pictures of your girls when you have time.

Yes, that is what I am thinking it may be. Of course, you need to watch it to make sure it doesn't turn into bumble but for now, I'd treat it as keratosis pilaris.
Love some pictures of your girls when you have time.
I continued digging and I think maybe we were looking for hyperkeratosis, which SOUNDS like what is going on but I can't find a good picture of it! She has no limp and no apparent discomfort, no swelling, no redness, no warmth.
I am going to unwrap her foot this morning, take pics of it (and check other foot, why didn't I think of that), spray with vetericin and give her back her pool to soak. I have a suspicion they didn't get a lot of water time in their old home (no judgment!! Just thinking it could contribute to the predisposition of duck foot issues) so I think this will help her all around.
I also bought a vitamin supplement for their water, which is supposed to help hyperkeratosis?
Sorry for over-informing...I have relied so heavily on threads here, both new and years old, so if someone in the future comes across this I want it to be as helpful as possible!
Here's a photo of my ladies, Patagonia and Mariposa, Patty and Posie for short 😍
Patty (with the black) has the foot issue.
I will post updates on how this resolved for anyone's future benefit 😄
PXL_20220403_212705186.jpg

Just an update for future people who may have a similar thing come up, I ended up doing nothing more and it's totally gone. She got her bandage off within 24 hours, spent more time in the pool and it just slowly resolved itself. Thank you for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom