Brand new to chickens (any advice with my Coop?)

Thanks Bluefrog. Now all I have to do is convince my wife it's a good idea.
smile.png

That shed would make a wonderful coop! Reenforce the window (and all vents) with hardware cloth so you can open it in the summer and make sure not to put the roost right in front of your vents for winter.

Hi Noobie,
as others mentioned, your first coop looked big enough for maybe 4 chickens. You can search the threads for recommended sq footage per bird. Looks like you have a large space for the chickens to roam in the daytime if you decide to let them range so you could probably go a little smaller on the coop size. It also looked pretty hard to clean out with the openings you showed.

The shed definitely looks like a good option (PSA, pending spousal approval) and would allow you to house more birds. Unless you plan to go into the coop every day you may consider having your nesting boxes accessible from the outside. From the picture you posted of the shed it looks like there were some wires inside the shed. You might want to remove them or secure them to the walls as chickens might like to peck/eat them or could get tangled.

there are lots of great pictures of walk-in coops on the site and the forums address pretty much any features you may be considering. Big issues are litter for the coop (sand vs. pellets vs. woodchips vs. leaves) and whether to use a poop board.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom