Brassiness in White Chanteclers

poultry is rad

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2019
I have white Chanteclers that hacthed in January. I raised birds from the same line last year. Last year they were all beautiful and bright white. This year they all started out bright white but about a month ago they started growing in new feathers that are much more orange. Last year I fed my chickens purina feed. This year I switched my chickens over to a local feed mills chicken feed when they were about 2 months old. I contacted the feed mill to ask how much corn they use in there feed since from what I have heard too much corn can cause brassiness. They use 1400lbs corn per 2000lbs of feed. I contacted a different local mill and they only use around 1200lbs corn per ton of feed. I also contacted purina but they simply said that they switch up there recipe and the amount of corn varies. So my question is do you guys think that the brassiness is from too much corn in there feed? And if so how much corn can be in the feed to prevent brassiness. I don't think it is genetic because there parents aren't brassy and there first feathers werent brassy. The only other thing it maybe could be from is too much sun. They live in a shed with a lot of natural light. I not sure it is that however because there parents lived in the same shed last year and were fine and because from my experience the sun sort of stains already existing feathers whereas my chickens are growing in new feathers that are already brassy.

It might be a myth... but I did notice my white Silkie, Leghorn and light Brahmas developed brassy feathers after their molt when they were on scratch that had a lot of corn. I switched them to feed that doesn't have much, and they lost the brassy feathers on their next molt.

Now I'm dealing with 6 hens with water belly... so I'm going to go corn free and see if it helps. I just have a feeling too much corn isn't good for any critter!

Back
Top Bottom