Breached Chick?! Help please!!

Wow, I just have to say that you are very mature and responsible for a 7th grader! I am impressed with the care you have taken with these eggs, and I'm so glad they are all progressing well for you! Congrats on your first chick making it out! :)

Oh, I remember the heat in Florida! I'm actually from FL myself, I only just moved here to Sweden last year. I don't miss the humidity, that's for sure! Anyway, I think just one day waiting to go into the incubator in the egg carton like that is no big deal. I'd be more concerned if they'd been stored for many days in the heat. It sounds like they are all doing pretty well right now, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. Strange why you got so many breech chicks with this batch, but sometimes it just happens.

Post pics when they're all out!

B'aww, thank you :D I prefer to be responsible rather than go along with the average 12 year old stereotype.
I've been watching the chicks and 5 have hatched so far, two pipped and 3 unpipped. One of the pipped ones is the last breech. It was the second one pipped overall, and it's been that way for a long time, without making process. It should of hatched by now, obviously since others that pipped way after it have already hatched. It's been sitting with its beak poking out of the hole it made, and not making any attempt to pip further than the initial one. I know it's still alive because it moves a lot. Do you think it's just not ready? Is it unable to pip further due to the breeched position? How much longer until I should assist? It's been around 12 hours that way. I'll show a picture.
Thanks,
~RandomQueen

(I edited the photo so it would be clearer, but it's still a little blurry since it's coming from my iPad.)

B'aww, thank you
big_smile.png
I prefer to be responsible rather than go along with the average 12 year old stereotype.
I've been watching the chicks and 5 have hatched so far, two pipped and 3 unpipped. One of the pipped ones is the last breech. It was the second one pipped overall, and it's been that way for a long time, without making process. It should of hatched by now, obviously since others that pipped way after it have already hatched. It's been sitting with its beak poking out of the hole it made, and not making any attempt to pip further than the initial one. I know it's still alive because it moves a lot. Do you think it's just not ready? Is it unable to pip further due to the breeched position? How much longer until I should assist? It's been around 12 hours that way. I'll show a picture.
Thanks,
~RandomQueen

(I edited the photo so it would be clearer, but it's still a little blurry since it's coming from my iPad.)

First, read this link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

I had two of these too, the first one hatched on its own, the second one made no progress after 24 hours so I helped it, it had absorbed all the blood and yolk sack, was just stuck in a position it couldn't rotate to zip... It was pretty easy to just open up the shell enough so it could push itself out.

good luck to you, love seeing someone so young take on such a responsibility.. Glad to know ya!!

Haha, that's actually my 6th time referring to that link, since I actually used it a year ago.. I keep coming back to it though. One more chick hatched, two pipped, two unpipped. The two pipped ones are breach babies, and the one that hasn't made any more process is still alive and chirping, but still not pipping :/ . Hmm.. I'll update you guys in the morning. G'night yall.

It's such a great link! ;D

Once it's been 24 hours without that one breech chick making any progress, that's when you should start to intervene. Has it done anything else yet? This is what happened to my duck egg. She pipped and then stayed in that same exact position for over 24 hours without turning at all or making any progress. That's when I realized she really was stuck like that and needed help getting out.

Edit: This is my assisted hatch girl now. She is very healthy and happy!

Last edited:
Awe, such a beautiful little baby. Is it a Cayuga? I'm glad you helped it. I find it comical they have such bigs heads and such small bodies.
Also, great news. Both the breeches hatched this morning! Including the stuck one. It had a longer unzipping time, but that's fine.
So, two hatched, one pipped, and one unpipped. Yay! Thank you for all your help, I'll try to research why everything went wrong, and get to you later on it.
Also, I'll post some pics after school when all have turned fluffy. Bye :D

Last edited:
That's great!! Wow, you are so lucky all these breech babies are getting out on their own with no problems. So good to hear! Congrats! :D

And yes, she is a Cayuga. Her name is Nutmeg. ^-^

Awe,that's a cute name.. Mind if I steal it?
:D
I just got back from school, and the pipped egg was hatched.
Which left the last unpipped egg. I looked it over for pips, and it was leaking some kind of yellow fluid. So I took it out, candled it, and it wasn't pipped and the fluid was coming out of every where on it, so I decided it was dead and performed an eggtopsy.
It was, in fact dead. Here is what I observed.

- It was not in the right position to hatch.
- It had not pipped. Internally or externally.
- There was a lot of the sticky yellow stuff everywhere. It has the consistency of glue, and it was transparent.. And VERY sticky. What is this? Is it normal?
-It had not finished using the yolk. There was still a good amount left.
- When I popped open the yolk sack, the yolk was green.. (Eew)
- The yolk sac was very deformed.
- It had not developed an egg tooth. I had noticed that 7 out of my 9 chicks had not either.

Well that's all. After the eggtopsy, I went and buried it in a peaceful place under my orange tree. I wonder why it died? Was it just one of those things? Or could it of been prevented?

Also, here's pictures of my chicks.

Congrats on the hatch! I'm in 8th grade myself and am going to start my first hatch soon ( with call duck eggs ) excluding the one chick you had a pretty good hatch rate! What kind of incubator do you use?

I use a Little Giant Still Air bator I got from TS. What incubator do you use? In I really like call ducks. I've always wanted one, but ended up getting two Pekin ducks instead. One was killed by a raccoon though, completely behead, leaving the female lonely. Luckily, our neighbors were nice and gave us two ducks, but they ended up both being males D:
So. Where are you getting the eggs from? Store or your own ducks?
If you have any questions about hatching, just ask me. I know a bit for my age..
Bye :)

Back
Top Bottom