Bread, Age, Gender?

Girlmomx3

Songster
Oct 12, 2021
So we’ve kinda become a chicken safe house 🤣 I’ve taken a love for chickens even more since raising my first chicks this past summer. Well I guess that means anytime someone can not care for their chickens they ask me if I have room for them. Most of the time I say YES! Unless we already have chickens in the crate in the coop. Anyway, these 3 found their way to our house. Don’t know anything about them. The white one, I’ve never had one like and it’s so big! Anyone know what it is, how old it looks and maybe even the gender
E6D5402E-3BAB-4E00-9E5F-450B4A9BDC1F.jpeg

CB44A98E-503C-4455-97E7-D0504899427F.jpeg

x2, looks like a cornish cross, or a very big white Plymouth rock. But at least she's a girl. Not sure on the age but looks to be a few months

So we’ve kinda become a chicken safe house 🤣 I’ve taken a love for chickens even more since raising my first chicks this past summer. Well I guess that means anytime someone can not care for their chickens they ask me if I have room for them. Most of the time I say YES! Unless we already have chickens in the crate in the coop. Anyway, these 3 found their way to our house. Don’t know anything about them. The white one, I’ve never had one like and it’s so big! Anyone know what it is, how old it looks and maybe even the gender
View attachment 2904767
View attachment 2904771
Meat bird pullet. Looks older than 12 weeks.

I’m pretty sure they were bought from tractor supply with no means of proper housing/care so they ended up with us now that the weather is getting colder. So with it being a meat bird, can’t we still just keep her as part of the flock?

I’m pretty sure they were bought from tractor supply with no means of proper housing/care so they ended up with us now that the weather is getting colder. So with it being a meat bird, can’t we still just keep her as part of the flock?
I do wonder if you have a White Rock, which are dual purpose birds. I am not seeing anything that goes against that, but I am getting ready to sleep too.

Meat birds (as in the Cornish X and Red ranger) tend to need a really specific diet to stay healthy. If I remember correctly, meat birds can become too fat fast, so most people recommend more time to free range and less time just getting free food. However, like I stated above, she may be a White Rock. I will try to get back to you in the morning.

You can but I'm pretty sure that they need to be kept on a special diet. @Weeg
Had a CornishX right?

I do wonder if you have a White Rock, which are dual purpose birds. I am not seeing anything that goes against that, but I am getting ready to sleep too.

Meat birds (as in the Cornish X and Red ranger) tend to need a really specific diet to stay healthy. If I remember correctly, meat birds can become too fat fast, so most people recommend more time to free range and less time just getting free food. However, like I stated above, she may be a White Rock. I will try to get back to you in the morning.
Thank you! They’re currently on purina start and grow crumbles and she does seem to eat more than the other two but still stopped eating better the food was gone. They haven’t had treats yet and get to free range during.

Thank you! They’re currently on purina start and grow crumbles and she does seem to eat more than the other two but still stopped eating better the food was gone. They haven’t had treats yet and get to free range during.
Treats are really overrated.

Now that I look again, her body shape looks off for a White Rock, so I would think she is some sort of meat bird and less of a dual purpose bird.

I do recommend free ranging often and making sure she is at a healthy weight. @Weeg may know more about a restricted diet.

Back
Top Bottom