Bread Flour *s

gypsy2621

Songster
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
New Hampshire
I have been pretty much all over this thread since TerriLacy mentioned bread recipies:
Uhoh see what you started.

The problem with breads in my household is I have a soon to be 12 year old diabetic child.
Flours are high in carbs and her ratio to her blood sugar demands low carb everything, its very frustrating.

I have looked in the local stores and have found rice flour no/low gluten flours, and many other flours to make bread with , but I am afraid they are not going to be low carb enough for this child to enjoy more than a half slice, which is nothing more than a nasty tease.

Does anyone have a recipie for low carb breads thatwould be under 13 grms of carb per slice?

How do the other flours bake up?
taste, texture. visual aspects?

this is also a child with sensory issues and visual issues (ie: if it doesnt look apealing she wont touch it)

In another thread they talk about HFCS , which is in eveything this child consumes, I am trying to eliminate all the sugars we can as we are having an extremely hard time regulating her blood sugar with the products available.

She is a huge veggi fan and a meat eater but when it comes to breads the sugar content in store brands will scare someone to death.

Her Drs are talking about re-configuring her calculations to include counting the sugars as well as the carbs. meaning if there are 13 carbs plus 13 gms of sugar the sugar has to be calculated in at half the amount, meaning 6.5 which rounds to 7 being over 5.
yes I know its confusing, I am always perplexed with this diabetic issue.

Any help with the use of different flours is most deeply appreciated.

ETA:
Feeding her what I can with out added sugars is a struggle as I mentioned everything has sugars and or carbs combined, I hate having to watch this child draw up 20 units of insulin just to have a meal. its very heartbreaking.

Last edited:
I would recommend that you find some web sites on cooking for a diabetic and look into spelt flour to make bread for your child. I am not knowledgeable enough to give you a recipe for a low carb bread, but you should be able to find some help on the internet. It might be that you will find a recipe for a quick bread muffin rather than for a yeast bread.

I have looked on the diabetic websites, whats frustrating about that is.
all websites are geard for Type 2 Diabetics. not Type 1, so everything is still too high in carb ratio.l

the problem I am finding even with diabetic (pkgd as sugar free) are in fact not carb free, look at a pkg of sugar free candy, sure made with splenda BUT the carb count is as high or if not higher than normal hard candys.

this is becoming a war of the carbs, and the carbs are winning.

I've got a candy business, and order products through Dutch Valley Foods in PA. They carry lots of stuff including sugar free items, flour alternatives, gluten free items, and organics. You have to have a business account with them, but maybe you could contact them. If you have a friend with a bakery, or business of that sort, you might see who their suppliers are, and if they offer the products you need. Good luck.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom