Bread recipes from the sourdough starter

Here is a tried and true recipe for English Muffins:

Sourdough English Muffins - source, Katie on The Fresh Loaf

1/2 cup starter (from starter fed and allowed to expand)
1 cup milk
2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 TB sugar
3/4 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
semolina or cornmeal for dusting

Combine starter, 2 cups of the flour and the milk in a large bowl. Stir well to combine, cover with plastic wrap, and leave out for 8 hours or overnight.

After the overnight rest, add remaining flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda and mix well. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 4-5 minutes. Roll out to 3/4" thick and cut with a large biscuit or cookie cutter into rounds. You can re-roll the scraps, but you may need to let the dough rest before cutting more muffins from them. Place muffins on a piece of parchment paper dusted with semolina/cornmeal, cover with a towel and let rest 45 minutes.

Spray a griddle or skillet lightly with spray oil. Heat to medium and cook muffins for about
6-8 minutes on each side, or until browned on the top and bottom and cooked through.

Cool on a wire rack, package to keep in the fridge or freezer or serve right away. To serve, split muffins in half and toast until hot.

I've made English muffins by baking and by cooking on a griddle and find the stove top griddle cooking to be much better than baking in the oven on a baking sheet.

You can use part whole wheat flour in this recipe if desired. I would sub one cup for one cup of the white unbleached flour.

All sourdough recipes assume that the starter used has been brought to room temperature, fed and allowed to expand before removing the amount needed for the recipe. This is very important to know! You don't take the starter from the fridge and pour out some to make your recipe. You let the starter sit to come up to room temp, feed it, and allow it to expand for 2-4 hours before removing the amount needed for your recipe.

Quote:
Thanks JoJo, I remebered adding recipes to that post and couldn't find it. I'm going to add all those to MissPrissy/Terrielacy's recipe index.

Back
Top Bottom