Break in... lost one!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Erin K, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Erin K

Erin K Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    So this morning I cheerfully opened my bedroom window to check on my pretty girls.

And only counted two. Where was my Sweetums?

Then I noticed a TON of feathers.

I raced outside. Something dug under my coop and inside and apparently scared all the feathers off of Sweetums, then dragged her to the back of the yard and ate a goodly portion of her.

We rekon raccoons. Maybe possims. Either way I HATE THEM NOW. I'm so mad. And mad at myself for not keeping my girls safe.

For tonight we moved the coop (it's a little A-frame moveable thing) on the patio and weighted it down a bunch. I hope that works.

The idea of them being all trapped in there with some killer breaks my heart. I mean our chickens are pets, that might incidentally lay eggs some day (they are not laying yet).

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Quote:So sorry you lost your Sweetums, it was a hard lesson learned. [​IMG]

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I'm so sorry [​IMG] [​IMG] rest in peace Sweetums [​IMG]

5. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm soo sorry!! It's always hard to lose a hen, RIP Sweetums.

6. Erin K

Aug 3, 2011
    I realized I put this in the wrong forum, there is a whole one for predators. Sorry!

Thanks for your support everyone. My husband is all crabby with me like it's my fault. And now "my hobby", which was a family hobby yesterday is causing him undo stress and expense. GRRRRR. I'm just venting, my husband is great, I just wanted a different type of support today.

Anyhow I keep checking on them. I don't know what time it happened. Also they were right under my bedroom window and, as I have a baby, I'm a super light sleeper so I don't know how I missed all the drama.

My kids took it ok. My 5 year old who had claimed her as his own chicken collected a bunch of clean feathers and put them in his journal. I thought that was very mature.

We have never seen a raccoon but now all our neighbors are sharing how our neighborhood is overrun with them! So maybe that's what it was.

I hope the remaining hens are ok and not too stressed. They seemed totally fine.

7. Erin K

Aug 3, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Here she was in life. [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    She was a pretty bird. Sorry for your loss.

9. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry you lost your girl.

10. Pcola Chick

Pcola Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    I'm sorry to hear about this too. Poor chickie... I'm like you and mine are pets (and I love each one of 'em) and I get FIRED UP when something gets one of my babies!!! I'd set a trap and catch that thing!! Look, I'm getting all mad just thinking it! Get 'em!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by