Break in your BATOR

barnwife

Songster
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
central Texas
I was doing some research, and then did a little of my my own experimenting with a couple little giant incubators.

Here is the website page for the research.

http://www.poultryconnection.com/quackers/incubator/batortest.html

This gentleman decided he wanted to hatch eggs, and wanted to know which incubator worked best. He did a test, which he explains in detail on his page. It is a little dry reading it, but the tail end was the best part.

He gave the recommendation of breaking in your incubator by running it for at least one full week before adding eggs.

I agree. I have 2 little Giants...one with an egg turner, one with a fan.

The one with the fan, even during the breaking in for a few days, has fluctuated only four degrees (99.5-103.5). Not the best...but not egg-killing bad. The humidity has ranged wildly, like a dog its first time on a leash. Anywhere from 20%-90%!!!!!!!!! It is still in the break-in cycle (day four)...no eggs in it...so I am not freaking out yet.

The bator without the fan (but with the turner) did FINE in its test run of 10 hours. Almost no variation in temp.
So, I put some much treasured and VERY well packaged bourbon red turkey eggs in it.
THEN the fun started. The bator ran cold the first day...88-98. Expected, since the eggs need time to warm up.

The next day, without adjusting anything...it shot to 105. For up to 3 hours, but i think it was less than an hour. Then, after minor adjustment, it dropped to 95 for up to four hours. You get the idea. Temperature spikes high and then very low...everything in between 88 an 105. Humidity is fairly constant, between 40 and 55.
I am still incubating them, they are on day six so hopefully they make it to candling day without exploding (ick).

I think maybe I should have just made omelettes, though. Because, at day 5...they have been HORRIBLY incubated with this new machine. Maybe I should have broke it in first, like was suggested. Maybe I am too hard headed lol.

Then again, the guy said to break it in for at least a week before incubating any eggs in it for the very same reasons.

Please remember to break in your machines...it will save you some heartache. And from having to buy more eggs. And from the stress of worrying about eggs exploding before candling.

I would say "don't give up on them yet!"
smile.png

In mid January, I set 9 of my turkey hen's eggs. All was going well, I could see them swimming around when candling. Then, on day 10, it started snowing here in north central KY. And freezing rain. Alot of freezing rain, nearly an inch. Power was on again and off again several times and temps outside were near single digits. Of course bator temps started dropping immediately!

My brother lives closer to town and still had power, so hubby dug out the 4X4 and took off with my eggs, bator and all wrapped in a down blanket. Next morning, brother calls that his power is out now, too. Ours is back on now so off to get the eggs! Later that night, power off again. I decided enough already and moved the bator to the living room in front of the fireplace.

For the next two days, I kept the temp between 85 and 95 by heating pint mason jars in front of the fireplace and rotating them in and out of the bator. Finally on Sunday got power back on permanently and continued with incubation as normal.
Well, I ended up with 5 eggs that hatched, 2 days early even!! I told hubby that with all the ups and downs and back and forths the poor things will probably be brain damaged!

So, don't give up quite yet! Apparently those turkeys are pretty hardy little guys, at least in my experience!

wee.gif

Congratulations! I hope mine survive...but I had another spike today in temp!!!! it was at 102...for I dont know how long. I'm going crazy!! It's only day 6...

Thanks for the encouragement...and I will wait it out...but sheesh!! This incubator thing really is gonna give me gray hair! lol3
barnie.gif

I will let you know how it turns out in 22 ish days...sooner if they explode lol.

WELL, today is day 14 in my unhappily regulated incubator.

I candled...and the dark spots are getting bigger!!!!

They are alive!!!!

AND just to let all you who don't beleive lg are ok...it spiked to 120 F for almost an hour, and has been everywhere in between 120 and 85 F.

I have chicken, quail, turkey, and pheasant in this bator....and the humidity stays around 30% ish...and everyone is growing!!!!

YAY! No duds at all!

I will update with pics in 2 weeks for the hatch!

My Brinsea 20 ECO worked right out of the box, reached the set temperature in about 15 min and held it for 3 days trial run.

Empty without eggs or any heat sinks confirmed rock solid by 2 analog and 1 digital thermometer set in various spots.

You can not make a Caddy from a Yugo.

I am not trying to put down any LG owners, this was my first bator, it hatched some chicks, but boy, IT WAS THE HARD WORK and constant hassle.

thanks for the reccomendation!

I will have to remember that for future reference...unfortunately I think my next bator will not be so easily maintained...my hubby is making me a cabinet type bator from an old refridgerator...talk about holding temp though!!
If a fridge can keep stuff cold in 120 F weatehr, I am CERTAIN it will hold eggs to the proper temp, too! The trick is just about the thermostat and installing fans and turners of varying sizes, and getting them to plug in.... I am pretty sure.

BUT thats what hubbies r for! If It does not work, I'm sure he wouldnt mind buying me a cabinet-type one!

I have been freaking out about my chicken eggs in a little giant too!!!;)The eggs are laying on the wire and I have a fan as well, but all you can really do is hope and wait.
smile.png

P.s GOOD LUCK!!!
big_smile.png

I probably shouldn't post this, it is asking for bad luck....

But, my LG is doing great, and all it took was a few little tweaks when adjusting the heat.

Actually, both of them are doing just great... I don't have heat spikes and they don't bottom out with out cool temps. So far all of the eggs have either hatched or have peeps in them....

One hatched today, with 2 more pipping and one peeping.

100% out of 6 eggs !

congrats!!!

There are some really good stories with lg...but about 50% or greater are tragedy or great levels of frustration.

good to know of another success story!

and happy peeps!

Back
Top Bottom