Breaking a Broody Hen.....question??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henmommy, Jul 22, 2010.

1. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have two broody girls and no rooster, so sitting on the eggs is fruitless. One lady has been broody since May. I have 5 10-11 week pullets in a separate pen. Can I remove my two broody girls from the nest and put them in with the young girls to break them? Can they eat the same food for a few days? Or what if I let them free range during the day and shut them out the coop? Suggestion appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Folks seem to have a lot of success with placing a broody in an elevated dog pen or cage (to allow air to circulate underneath), with no bedding, only food/water, for a few days. If you put them in with the older chicks, there is bedding and "snuggly" places available, so it probably wouldn't work.
    I did break my girl after letting her sit for a few weeks by keeping her out of the coop. Of course this meant I had to stand guard so that my other girls could get inside to lay their eggs. I'd place her on the roost at night, and then give her the boot first thing in the morning. After two days of being diligent about not allowing her access, she finally snapped out of it. Or maybe she saw the dog crate I had prepared in case she hadn't broken by the end of the weekend...lol. [​IMG]

3. henmommy

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Thanks, I'll try locking them out first and see how that goes. Crossing fingers!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  5. henmommy

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Great info. Thanks a bunch!!! Additional question...Can I place more than one broody hen in a dog cage? or one at a time?

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That is a real good question. I honestly have never done it so I don't know for sure. I would try it and see if they fight. Fighting is the only thing I'd worry about. I think it would work out well but I'm not sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by