Breast scab

Rochie92

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2019
Hey all. I am new to this site. I have a rooster who is acting completely normal he's eating drinking doing chicken things but I went to pick him up yesterday and noticed something hard when I went to check it out his breast feathers are picked and it's scabbed over.

He lives with 8 hens and 1 more rooster. Whenever I am observing them both roosters seem to get along So I am doubtful it's that. It's a strange place for another chicken to pick.

No other chickens have this in the coop

We live in Canada it's quite cold we have had some -26C nights and some warmer ones around 0.

Any advice suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20190204_162526.jpg
    IMG_20190204_162526.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 87
:frowHi there! Welcome to BYC.
How is he otherwise?
Eating, drinking, pooping, socializing etc?

That looks like a breast blister.
Here’s some info on it.

I’d clean that well with an antibacterial soap and water, and apply some triple antibiotic ointment on it, daily for a few days to see if it improves and monitor it for any worsening.
I’m a little concerned about the green tinge in the outer margin of the photo. Do you see that?
Is it draining?

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/breast-blister

Breast blisters can be from spending a lot of time on a roostbar or on wet ground. Does this rooster seem scared and bullied by the other one? Usually when I have had more than one rooster, the other one is very timid and inactive. Once I kept 3 together in a huge pen, and the two more dominate roosters would never let the other one eat or even get down and run around. He spent too much time on the roost and ended up with a breast blister.

Breast blisters can abscess, so they should be cleaned with a disinfectant (betadine, chlorhexidene, Vetericyn) and then put some antibiotic ointment on it twice a day.

Breast blisters also can be common with some diseases affecting the legs, such as mycoplama synovitis that causes baterial arthritis in the legs.

:frowHi there! Welcome to BYC.
How is he otherwise?
Eating, drinking, pooping, socializing etc?

That looks like a breast blister.
Here’s some info on it.

I’d clean that well with an antibacterial soap and water, and apply some triple antibiotic ointment on it, daily for a few days to see if it improves and monitor it for any worsening.
I’m a little concerned about the green tinge in the outer margin of the photo. Do you see that?
Is it draining?

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/breast-blister

yeah doing what everyone else is doing. eating I actually had to take him out of the feeder to get a good look at him. He lives with another rooster but they both seem to get along fine. I could be wrong.

are the Bored if i maybe hung a cabbage or something could that get him down more?

I will do that. Where it is cold out should i bring him indoors to clean him up and then bring him back after he is dry?

I Did notice that green I believe that is his skin its not wet is not running its kind of just on there if that makes sense?

Breast blisters can be from spending a lot of time on a roostbar or on wet ground. Does this rooster seem scared and bullied by the other one? Usually when I have had more than one rooster, the other one is very timid and inactive. Once I kept 3 together in a huge pen, and the two more dominate roosters would never let the other one eat or even get down and run around. He spent too much time on the roost and ended up with a breast blister.

Breast blisters can abscess, so they should be cleaned with a disinfectant (betadine, chlorhexidene, Vetericyn) and then put some antibiotic ointment on it twice a day.

Breast blisters also can be common with some diseases affecting the legs, such as mycoplama synovitis that causes baterial arthritis in the legs.

You can used a hairdryer. Generally they enjoy it.
If you don’t have one, blot with towels and keep inside until he’s fully dry.

Please read through @Eggcessive’s post. It’s much more detailed than mine!

We had a Rooster like this. we originally had three and hoped we could keep the peace until we could build on and get more hens for them but we had to get rid of him he wasn't letting these two eat unless I went up there and physically took them down placed them by the food and stood there ground. Could the Blister have started then but small this was 2 months ago we got rid of him. The floor was wet we had to change bedding 2 weeks in a row because of a leaky water fountain. They do get a scattered scab on there foot as well. is there any type of ointment i can buy at a regular pharmacy or could i use bluekote? we live pretty rural and would take about a week before i could get to town

Back
Top Bottom