Breathing problems

QueenG

Hatching
Nov 26, 2019
hello!

I‘ve got a question. One of my new hens (about 7 mths old) was fine today, playing with her sister. In the evening when i went to check on them, she was sneezing and shaking her head like crazy. I took her inside and let her inhale some camomile tea... this was a few hours ago.. since then she started making soinds when breathing, they‘re very loud. I‘m so worried! Should i go to the vets right away? It‘s midnight here... please help!

Welcome to BYC. It sounds like she might be having symptoms of a respiratory disease. Sneezing can be normal if they do it occasionally, especially when they are eating chicken feed. But sneezing every few minutes can be a sign of infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) ILT, or other diseases. Head shaking is another sign, and how they clear secretions from their nostrils and throat. Look for watery eyes or bubbles in one eye, drainage from nostrils, crackles or wheezing while breathing, or gasping.

How long have you had your chicken? Do you have other chickens? Some respiratory problems can be made worse with poor air circualtion, dust or mold in the coop, and ammonia odor from droppings piling up. Here is a good link to read about respiratory diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I just saw the videos that you posted, and she was sneezing a lot in the first one. Has she calmed down some now? Check her nostrils in case she has gotten a small piece of feed in there that is irritating her. If she has stopped sneezing repeatedly, then I would just watch her. In the morning if she is still doing the sneezing, you may want to see a vet.

Thank you! I‘ve had her for about 2 months. I have 11 other chickens. They are outside all day, only in the night they‘re inside. There are a few cracks in the walla, so the circulation should be okay.. i clean out the coop daily or every two days, so it‘s always pretty clean.. did you see the videos? Is this an emergency?

I just saw the videos that you posted, and she was sneezing a lot in the first one. Has she calmed down some now? Check her nostrils in case she has gotten a small piece of feed in there that is irritating her. If she has stopped sneezing repeatedly, then I would just watch her. In the morning if she is still doing the sneezing, you may want to see a vet.

She did that and then she stopped, but did it maybe every half hour? She hasn‘t sneezed like that in the last hour, but she started having breathing sounds (see the second video).

She doesn’t sound like she is in danger in the second video. I would look for the other symptoms I described in my first post and check her in the morning. Make sure that she is drinking plenty of water.

There‘s nothing in the nostrils and no secretion at all, the beak is totally dry. I looked in her mouth and couldn‘t see anything either..

Respiratory diseases can be spread from a carrier, can be brought in on clothing and shoes, and from wild birds. Testing is good to see which disease that might be a problem. Did you see any watery eyes or eye bubbles?

Back
Top Bottom