Breda Fowl thread

Your Breda girls are to DIE for! How old are they? I'm so excited that my Cuckoo Breda has made it past two years after losing all my Blue girls before 2 yrs. Amazingly, the wrong-order Blue male we got from Waltz's Ark we had to rehome but he's still alive at 3 yrs. Waltz's Ark Blue Ameraucana pullet got shipped with Marek's and we had to put her down at the vet but the Blue Breda cockerel that came with her never displayed Marek's symptoms but he did arrive with coccidia, worms, and respiratory issues -- he was fine after the vet treated him. He is a house chicken in his new home - lucky guy!

After the rain and foraging outdoors, long Breda toe feathers break off.
DSCN8644.JPG

My white earlobe Breda girl following one of our Dominique pullets
DSCN8653.JPG

White lobe Breda trotting past my camera. She has a nice V-shape flesh where a comb would be on other breeds. My Blue pullets never had the V but this Cuckoo has a flat bit of V-flesh above her beak.
DSCN8657.JPG

Your Breda girls are to DIE for! How old are they? I'm so excited that my Cuckoo Breda has made it past two years after losing all my Blue girls before 2 yrs. Amazingly, the wrong-order Blue male we got from Waltz's Ark we had to rehome but he's still alive at 3 yrs. Waltz's Ark Blue Ameraucana pullet got shipped with Marek's and we had to put her down at the vet but the Blue Breda cockerel that came with her never displayed Marek's symptoms but he did arrive with coccidia, worms, and respiratory issues -- he was fine after the vet treated him. He is a house chicken in his new home - lucky guy!

After the rain and foraging outdoors, long Breda toe feathers break off.
View attachment 1296313
My white earlobe Breda girl following one of our Dominique pullets
View attachment 1296314
White lobe Breda trotting past my camera. She has a nice V-shape flesh where a comb would be on other breeds. My Blue pullets never had the V but this Cuckoo has a flat bit of V-flesh above her beak.
View attachment 1296315 .
They're just about 7 months old. I'm so pleased with how they are turning out; they were so lanky and wonky for awhile. :lol: I had 4 males at first, 2 really nice ones that I planned on keeping, and 2 backups. Unfortunately, I lost both of the nice males from some unknown predator. I think anyone who has raised chickens for a while can agree that predators and illnesses always seem to know which chickens are the favorites.
Odd that you lost all your blues before 2 years. Did you get them from the same breeder? I've got a blue girl and a splash who have been around for 5 years now.

They're just about 7 months old. I'm so pleased with how they are turning out; they were so lanky and wonky for awhile. :lol: I had 4 males at first, 2 really nice ones that I planned on keeping, and 2 backups. Unfortunately, I lost both of the nice males from some unknown predator. I think anyone who has raised chickens for a while can agree that predators and illnesses always seem to know which chickens are the favorites.
Odd that you lost all your blues before 2 years. Did you get them from the same breeder? I've got a blue girl and a splash who have been around for 5 years now.

Yes, predators are the worst at picking out the favorites!!!! The 4 Blues I had were from 3 different breeders from 3 different states (CO, CA, KS) in 3 different years. The only survivor was the wrong-shipped Waltz's Ark male which we had to re-home but amazingly he is still alive. I lost two Blue pullets before POL and lost a Blue hen at 11/2 yrs who started to lay as a pullet for 10+ consecutive months without stop and when the heatwave hit us we lost her -- she was a dynamo layer and I think it lowered her immunity. She took a mid-day snooze and never woke up.

Thank you! That hen is stunning; I love all the white on her. And come to think of it, a white Breda would be beautiful! Somebody should get on that.

Chicken Danz had a white Breda hen for 7 yrs. They are a lovely breed no matter what color! Breda are amazingly statuesque and regal in their stance and extremely photogenic, standing tall and fairly still for quality photo shoots -- not like my funny Dominiques who won't stand still for one second and I get nothing but butt tail pics from them!

I would like to put together a list of breeders in the US who sell chicks or eggs in hopes of promoting the breed. You can reply here or PM me with your info.

This is Chicken Danz' website -- she has Breda chickens among many other breeds, Sebastapol ducks, mini-turkeys, game birds, and Pyrenees puppies:

www.chickendanz.com

Sad day here! A few minutes ago, Pegs my disabled rooster died in my arms.
He lived a short but hopefully happy life here - he will be missed :(

So very sad. You took such good care of him. :hugs
Every time someone loses a bird I cry for all the ones we've lost too. If the wolf peacefully lies with the lamb in heaven, I hope that means our departed birds will be there too.

So very sad. You took such good care of him. :hugs
Every time someone loses a bird I cry for all the ones we've lost too. If the wolf peacefully lies with the lamb in heaven, I hope that means our departed birds will be there too.
Thank you for the kind words - I cannot imagine 'Heaven' without birds so I'm sure he is there. He taught me much.

Back
Top Bottom