Breda Fowl thread

Pics
It certainly applies to many breeds, and all that do lay through the winter. Here in PA, there are many breeds that stop laying entirely during the winters months. In my experience the Breda wasn't one of them, but it wasn't as good of a winter layer as the Dominiqes and Chanteclers. The Dominques where non-stop (1/day) layers, the Bredas Egg production dropped to about 2-3/week/hen.

Do your Chanteclers go broody? I had 2 Partridge Chanteclers, both broody as all get out. One didn't lay from mid October to mid February then started with 1 egg every 3 days until mid March when she keeled over in March at < 2 years old. The other is the primary reason I had at least 1 egg almost every day through the winter. She was laying 5 or 6 a week when the only other birds laying was the Black Australorp that didn't moult until February and one of the Faverolles that laid into January. The PC was going great guns from the end of August until the end of May, then BROODY again, 1 egg from June through mid July. Then FABULOUS again, 16 eggs in 19 days and then BROODY again. She hasn't laid an egg in the last 3 weeks. I'm not likely to get any more due to the broodiness, plus the eggs mostly don't even make it to USDA Medium, same with the BROODY Faverolles.

Do your Chanteclers go broody? I had 2 Partridge Chanteclers, both broody as all get out. One didn't lay from mid October to mid February then started with 1 egg every 3 days until mid March when she keeled over in March at < 2 years old. The other is the primary reason I had at least 1 egg almost every day through the winter. She was laying 5 or 6 a week when the only other birds laying was the Black Australorp that didn't moult until February and one of the Faverolles that laid into January. The PC was going great guns from the end of August until the end of May, then BROODY again, 1 egg from June through mid July. Then FABULOUS again, 16 eggs in 19 days and then BROODY again. She hasn't laid an egg in the last 3 weeks. I'm not likely to get any more due to the broodiness, plus the eggs mostly don't even make it to USDA Medium, same with the BROODY Faverolles.
Yes, most of my Partridge Chanteclers went broody. Some would brood multiple times a year.

My barred boy is coming along nicely
wee.gif

He is already taller than my adult roo and has crazy long vulture hawks and a great posture. Stumpy is my splash adult roo at bottom. He hasis rather short legged, but is coming along nicely at about 10 months now.

wee.gif

He is already taller than my adult roo and has crazy long vulture hawks and a great posture. Stumpy is my splash adult roo at bottom. He hasis rather short legged, but is coming along nicely at about 10 months now.

Gorgeous! Where did you get your barred birds? Do you have any for sale?

Showed my blue and splash Breda girls at the fair this year. I don't know what the judges comments were, as I wasn't there for judging, but my blue got 3rd in AOV and the splash 4th.
smile.png
I loved seeing the public's and other showmen's reaction to them. They surely are a very eye catching breed.

They are from DutchChicky. Mine are young still, but I do have another group coming up behind them. DutchChicky has a pretty big group of youngsters started from the pics I saw.
Mine will start producing next spring. I also have Mottled coming up. There are pics of them in here a few pages back. The one with the mohawk
big_smile.png

Thank You,

Christine

wee.gif

Beautiful boys but the girls aren't too shabby either! Can't wait to get mine! The more I read about this breed the more I love them as an all-around great breed. Besides Sultans I don't know of any other chicken with vulture hocks - they're to die for! Beautiful birds!!

Is there such a thing in the Breda breed as having too many feathers on their feet? My girl's toes are COVERED. Especially the blue. She has to waddle because of their length. So funny to watch.
lol.png
Anyways, I know there is a limit for Marans, is it the same for Bredas, or are lots of feathers a good thing?

Back
Top Bottom