Breda Fowl thread

Pics
Yes I think I have a hen on my hands. I was so hoping for "him" to be a rooster. Ah well, have a whole pen full coming up behind that look just like her
celebrate.gif
This is her daddy.

Yes I think I have a hen on my hands. I was so hoping for "him" to be a rooster. Ah well, have a whole pen full coming up behind that look just like her
celebrate.gif
This is her daddy.

Breda stances are so incredibly erect to the point the vulture hocks become vertical! Gorgeous boy!

This breed is the easiest to photograph since they don't spook when something is in the hands. Our juvenile boy while we had him would stick his beak and eyeball right up to the lens. Wonderfully friendly curious breed!

Jumping in and following, new new new.

A suggestion was made to me today and I am of course dropping everything and following up on Breda Fowl!

I like them. I like them Alot. I love Vulture hocks, I love feathered legs, I like their appearance in general.

The pics by Sylvester017...show a V shape. Very nice!

How I skipped over Breda in chicken research, I don't know!

Apologies in advance, I get excited about things and might ask questions.

Jumping in and following, new new new.

A suggestion was made to me today and I am of course dropping everything and following up on Breda Fowl!

I like them. I like them Alot. I love Vulture hocks, I love feathered legs, I like their appearance in general.

The pics by Sylvester017...show a V shape. Very nice!

How I skipped over Breda in chicken research, I don't know!

Apologies in advance, I get excited about things and might ask questions.
yuckyuck.gif

Yes, the Bredas are a wonderful breed. I personally get excited when I find a breed that is great not only for production but for flock personality compatibility, gorgeous looks, and outgoing friendly curious demeanor around humans. This breed amazed us when a cockerel was accidentally shipped to us. He was so incredible that we found him a home with friends and we ordered another Breda pullet to replace him - we aren't zoned for roos :-(

I would say the downside to the Breda is that it takes several weeks before females and males can be positively ID'd and snowy or damp conditions will play havoc on their huge feathered feet and hocks. Since our feathered Silkies do great in our mild climate the Breda should do well here. Bredas are gentle birds and I personally would not stress them by placing them in a mixed flock of generally assertive dual-purpose or egg-layer breeds. I don't put Ameraucanas with any combative breeds either but that's just me since I don't like political drama queens in my backyard flock. My new pullet will arrive next week and I'll post pics when she arrives. All owners I have asked about the Breda personality have had nothing but the best responses. Many breeds are good as dual purpose or production but when a good temperament, friendliness, and beauty is added to that it becomes my desired breed.

Thanks Sylvester for the positive reviews and personal experience.

I guess I'm on the search! Greenfire no longer offers this breed??? I found a couple of small farms and individuals so far. I'm pretty determined. :)

I have a very eclectic mix flock. No production breeds though. Everyone plays nice. knock wood.

I have lots of cockerels on their way to auction tomorrow. Blues, Splash, Cuckoo. PM for details as I would love to see them go off to their own flocks instead of the market. The moderator does not like us posting in here any more I guess. I can save birds for anyone interested.

Thanks Sylvester for the positive reviews and personal experience.  

I guess I'm on the search!   Greenfire no longer offers this breed???  I found a couple of small farms and individuals so far.  I'm pretty determined. :)

I  have a very eclectic mix flock.  No production breeds though.  Everyone plays nice.   knock wood.  

Which part of the country r u located in? I hatched a couple this spring which I'm looking for good breda homes for. I'm in NY & would rather not ship them far if at all. One hatched in April is blue & I'm pretty sure she's a pullet. A splash hatched 4 weeks ago, can't tell the sex of that one. Pm me if close & interested.

I have lots of cockerels on their way to auction tomorrow. Blues, Splash, Cuckoo. PM for details as I would love to see them go off to their own flocks instead of the market. The moderator does not like us posting in here any more I guess. I can save birds for anyone interested.
Wish I could snag one of those cockerels, but I just don't have the room at the moment.
barnie.gif
And I'm just curious, what do you mean by saying the moderator does not like us posting here?

Back
Top Bottom