Breda Fowl thread

DSCN0026 (2).JPG
DSCN0018.JPG
Here are a couple of photos' of the Waltzs Ark Bredas. The black male reminds me of Gomez (RIP). The white Breda is supposed to be a splash, but I'm hoping she stays white :fl. The first pic is Jamela my ever nosey D'Uccle....
DSCN0015.JPG

Just waiting for the combe to change color to sex .... O wait... This ones been my favorite since day one.
Do you wait for saddle and hackle feathers to get a good idea of sex? I am leaning to cockerel on this one, its waddle is much bigger than the others. I have 4, 2 blue and 2 black and if the chicken gods could bless me with 1 cock and 3 hens is be ever so happy lol.
20180817_144747_HDR.jpg

20180817_144657_HDR.jpg

Just waiting for the combe to change color to sex .... O wait... This ones been my favorite since day one.
Do you wait for saddle and hackle feathers to get a good idea of sex? I am leaning to cockerel on this one, its waddle is much bigger than the others. I have 4, 2 blue and 2 black and if the chicken gods could bless me with 1 cock and 3 hens is be ever so happy lol.
View attachment 1508129
View attachment 1508131
I think I would be leaning towards cockerel too. Looks like the hackles are a little pointy. I don't usually get too taken up with the wattles, sometimes a fast growing girl will put out wattles only to have them stop growing almost immediately - at least in my experience :) Nice bird!

I think I would be leaning towards cockerel too. Looks like the hackles are a little pointy. I don't usually get too taken up with the wattles, sometimes a fast growing girl will put out wattles only to have them stop growing almost immediately - at least in my experience :) Nice bird!
Thank you!!
I am just in love with this breed.

Ended up with three males from my cross with a cuckoo over BBS. Biggest of the three will go over hens next spring to increase size of my BBS. Take a couple of breeding to get the proper blue lacing back, but a needed dose of new blood (genes plus about a six inch height in size) to improve the line.

breda-cc-bbs-3.jpg

Ended up with three males from my cross with a cuckoo over BBS. Biggest of the three will go over hens next spring to increase size of my BBS. Take a couple of breeding to get the proper blue lacing back, but a needed dose of new blood (genes plus about a six inch height in size) to improve the line.

View attachment 1509013
Encouraging tho'. I'm toying with the idea to cross mottled with a blue...

View attachment 1509013

QUESTION: Was the Cuckoo that you used in the cross-breeding a Cuckoo Breda or a different Cuckoo breed?

I personally like the size of Breda where they are and the ones I had that made it to POL were great layers so those two things I don't see needing improvement but that's JMHO. What the Breda needs is hardiness bred into it and that's where using an outside cross would improve genetics -- with of course the usual breeding back to regain body type again to standard. So glad to hear you have a genetic enhancement project going! Please keep us informed and with pics TY!

Encouraging tho'. I'm toying with the idea to cross mottled with a blue...

With different folks trying different crosses there's bound to be a diversity enhancement eventually! My guess is one day a possible Blue and White Mottled, eh? Wouldn't that be the bomb!

QUESTION: Was the Cuckoo that you used in the cross-breeding a Cuckoo Breda or a different Cuckoo breed?

I personally like the size of Breda where they are and the ones I had that made it to POL were great layers so those two things I don't see needing improvement but that's JMHO. What the Breda needs is hardiness bred into it and that's where using an outside cross would improve genetics -- with of course the usual breeding back to regain body type again to standard. So glad to hear you have a genetic enhancement project going! Please keep us informed and with pics TY!

With different folks trying different crosses there's bound to be a diversity enhancement eventually! My guess is one day a possible Blue and White Mottled, eh? Wouldn't that be the bomb!

The cross was with a Cuckoo breda. My cuckoo are quite a bit larger than my BBS. According to the Dutch standard mine can use a bit of extra weight and size.

As a side note, I do have a project planned to cross to an outside breed to help beef up the gene pool. It will take several years to get back to standard, but hopefully with some needed genetics improved. If not I guess I'll be eating lots of chicken.

The only other course would be to import some prime specimens from the European home land. $$$

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom