Breda Fowl thread

I have to share a little with people I know. I finally found out an article was published in the new June /July issue of Backyard Poultry Magazine. It's about Breda fowl and features a couple pictures from my flock and a quote from me. If you don't buy the magazine you can read the article by going to https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com
You have to sign up, which doesn't cost anything or obligate you in any way. Once you get signed up and signed in you go to the Members only area, and click on Magazines. Then you can read that current issue. The article starts on page 74. It's supposed to be on the Countryside network site as well but it isn't there yet.

I must be the prize of idiots because I couldn't find your article? Registered, saw the Magazine with Breda Fowl as a topic but that's all. I have better luck just going direct to your very own wonderful website chickendanz.com to see your great info! Oh well! Congrats on getting featured anyway!!!

Well, their contact email customer service isn't working either. I'm not the most tech-savvy person in the world but I've done my fair share of registering on websites and this one hasn't been working to even contact their customer service.

Last edited:
Thanks @boskelli1571 . I'm still working on my rebreeding project but it's going to take a while. I have some crosses done and waiting for those to get laying age before I breed into the Breda flock. I've had a terrible time with the La Fleche. Just finally hatched a few after over a year of having them. So that has me on hold since this seems to be the main breed to use.

On another subject has anyone crossed Cuckoo Breda hens with a Splash Breda Cockerel?

Crossed a Cuckoo cock to two blue hens and one black hen. Lost my only Cuckoo hen at the time and didn't want to loose a breeding season. Got a few light blue cuckoo and some others. Took the best cock and two hens and crossed them this year. Got several almost white splash (one or two colored feathers). Also, got a couple of larger blue (smudged) that I will use next year to try and increase size in my old BBS flock. I've got three hens from my original BBS that are hitting 6 years of age.

I've got a couple of old hens that are probably near 8. I doubt they lay thought. One Wing, my house chicken is old enough she no longer lays except maybe 4 weeks a year. I know she is at least 5 and maybe 6. I don't remember for sure.
I just had a great Breda hatch. There were several other breeds in that hatch. But the Breda and only the Breda, decided to drown themselves in the quart waterer. I think I may have 2 left out of about 12.:barnie

I've got a couple of old hens that are probably near 8. I doubt they lay thought. One Wing, my house chicken is old enough she no longer lays except maybe 4 weeks a year. I know she is at least 5 and maybe 6. I don't remember for sure.
I just had a great Breda hatch. There were several other breeds in that hatch. But the Breda and only the Breda, decided to drown themselves in the quart waterer. I think I may have 2 left out of about 12.:barnie
Hate to hear that. Sounds like my luck. I got some rare chickens this year and was down to four, 1 cock and three pullets. The cock had injured his leg so I had him in a separate cage till he was good to go, but Mr. Racoon came and knocked it over and got him. So I have three pullets and no breeding cock. :th

I've lost several birds like that....not coons but silly things. Like a rooster or a hen jumping and breaking their neck. I had La Fleche for over a year before I ever got a fertile egg. Come to find out the older nicer quality rooster wasn't fertile but he kept the young boys from breeding the girls. Then I lost one of the two fertile boys.
Now I have some extremely rare imported birds who just turned a year in June. I have had lots of egg but no fertile ones. I have two males and each has a couple girls.

My 10 breda chicks about a month and a half old now
Looks like 5-7 cockerals and maybe 4 pullets .
The rooster was a mottled. The hens are 1 cuckoo, 7 blacks, 1 mottled, 3 split to black.

Attachments

• 20190707_064227.jpg
    20190707_064227.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom