Breda Fowl thread

Pics
Beautiful cockeral! I really like mine and am facing a choice of downsizing somewhere and it might have to be here. I have an ad up in the classifieds for black, splash and blue from greenfire. They are 6 and 7 weeks old and have been outside for a few weeks, if anyone is interested. Healthy, very sweet and well socialized too. I'm willing to negotiate in order for them to get a great home. They should be bred and not sitting around in my laying flock. 14 altogether, though I'm not sure of sexes yet. If I had more room, I'd never even consider letting them go. They're really neat birds. I'm in NY.

These Breda are outside so they are definitely used to te weather. They'll be good to go this winter. Here in Southern California they did better than expected in the heat. I was surprised by how well they did. The nights get to 50 ready sometimes and they're doing great:)

I'm pretty sure of the gender of my Breda, but, I have a 6-7 month old blue-beautiful/handsome chicken. I have thought he's a he, but he's not crowing nor is he going after the ladies. I just figured the manly Creme Legbar took all the testosterone and the Breda was less dominate. The Breda hangs out ALL the time with a same-aged Creme Legbar female. I figured he's a he but what are your thoughts? The ear lobes are actually bright white. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mine were 12 weeks old before I could tel the difference, so I am not the one who should be responding, but my Breda Boy is with two manly Basque that are twice this size and he goes after the girls. My boy only has blue on this belly and has what I cal a midnight blue (nearly black) on the head saddles and back (painted like a fighter jet. Dark on top blue on bottom). Your birds looks to have the light blue all over, but I looked at my Breda again this morning and the pullet doesn't have any wattles like yours does, so I would say yours is a cockerel. 6-7 month? No eggs yet??? :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure of the gender of my Breda, but, I have a 6-7 month old blue-beautiful/handsome chicken. I have thought he's a he, but he's not crowing nor is he going after the ladies. I just figured the manly Creme Legbar took all the testosterone and the Breda was less dominate. The Breda hangs out ALL the time with a same-aged Creme Legbar female. I figured he's a he but what are your thoughts?  The ear lobes are actually bright white.  Thanks.

That's a cockeral ;)

Thanks for the input all. I'm selling the other 2 sets of older breeds I have this weekend so I bet the dynamics will change and we'll start hearing him crow. I have a few different varieities of the blues. Some all blue and some have the darker shackles and heads.

Any idea what a 5 month old trio sells for nowadays? I know they are alot more popular than they used to be. One black, one blue and one splash. the rooster is the splash.

Mine are about the same age. They don't crow and they tend to hide from all the other chickens.
I'm pretty sure of the gender of my Breda, but, I have a 6-7 month old blue-beautiful/handsome chicken. I have thought he's a he, but he's not crowing nor is he going after the ladies. I just figured the manly Creme Legbar took all the testosterone and the Breda was less dominate. The Breda hangs out ALL the time with a same-aged Creme Legbar female. I figured he's a he but what are your thoughts? The ear lobes are actually bright white. Thanks.

That's a cockeral
wink.png

My Breda are young, probably about 5-6 months old but they Rule the Roost. They are in a large pen with Midget White Turkeys and Wheaton Marans but they definately are the Boss Hogs of the whole bunch. They aren't going to be huge but they are a pretty nice size. I would guess when they fill out they will be about 7 pounds about the same as Marans except taller.

Back
Top Bottom