Breda Fowl thread

Pics
My Breda are 6 or 7 months old and the rooster is really big. He is larger than my tolbunt polish and they are considered LF. I am needing to separate him and the hens out of the mixed flock..he is traumatizing my polish hens.

Add me to the list of Breda fans!

I've been looking at these birds on the Greenfire site for awhile, going back and forth between ordering and not ordering. Today, I finally placed the order and will receive my 6 assorted Breda chicks next week!

The descriptions seem to indicate a fairly large fowl (8-11#), but some of the descriptions here - at least of youngish chickens - indicate they might be closer to bantam sized (4 #) I'm okay with a slow maturing chicken. Have those of you who have had these chickens for a year or two find that to be the case?

Is there a standard somewhere? The Netherlands perhaps? If I recall correctly, they were never approved by the APA.

Hey Curtis...how come you are everywhere I go on here!!!! LOL.......I also have 3 pair of beautiful Breda from Samantha. James from Skyline mailed me and he shipped my new babies today!!!!
ya.gif
ya.gif
..................holler..............Mike

Mike,

I was feeling the same way about a few other chickens folks. :)

My Cream Legbars are now 10 months old. They and my Black Copper Marans are going to be my main breeding focus for the foreseeable next couple years.

I told James at Skyline that he and I would have to compare notes on our flocks at some point in time. It looks like you and Laingcroft will have to join us too.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new venture with Breda Fowl.

I have 2 pullets and 2 cockerels that I hatched from Ebay eggs last spring. 1 of my pullets has a foot deformity so I will probably not be breeding these guys. They can be eye candy for now. Slow maturing is right! The girls don't lay and the boys don't crow. I heard that the roos can be pretty aggressive but mine are very docile. Maybe I'll see some changes next spring?

My Cream Legbars will be my breeding focus for now. I am downsizing my layer flock too.

I've been looking at these birds on the Greenfire site for awhile, going back and forth between ordering and not ordering. Today, I finally placed the order and will receive my 6 assorted Breda chicks next week!

The descriptions seem to indicate a fairly large fowl (8-11#), but some of the descriptions here - at least of youngish chickens - indicate they might be closer to bantam sized (4 #) I'm okay with a slow maturing chicken. Have those of you who have had these chickens for a year or two find that to be the case?

Is there a standard somewhere? The Netherlands perhaps? If I recall correctly, they were never approved by the APA.

Last edited:

I've been looking at these birds on the Greenfire site for awhile, going back and forth between ordering and not ordering.  Today, I finally placed the order and will receive my 6 assorted Breda chicks next week!

The descriptions seem to indicate a fairly large fowl (8-11#), but some of the descriptions here - at least of youngish chickens - indicate they might be closer to bantam sized (4 #)    I'm okay with a slow maturing chicken.  Have those of you who have had these chickens for a year or two find that to be the case?

Is there a standard somewhere?  The Netherlands perhaps?  If I recall correctly, they were never approved by the APA.

Mine came from Greenfire. I picked them up in March.

My hen is 23 weeks old. No eggs yet. The Marans and two Basque hatch with her look like they could be laying in another week ot two. I think the Marans will lay first and the Breda about a week behind with the Basque

My Breda Rooster is really gentle with people and his flock mates. My wife says that he can be really mean to birds in other flocks though. Since we aren't hatching right now we sometime will let 2-3 flocks out at the same time with only a light 3' fence run between them. the flocks get mix momentarily at times when we are moving around fences and I guess the Breda runs off and attachs anyone from the other flocks that get too close to his flock. Quite remarkable really considering there are two Basque cockerels in his flock that are a few week older than him that have put him on the bottom of the pecking order. The Basque cockerels don't seem to mind much if the other birds are sharing the same part of the field with them.

I would have to label the Breda as medium size foul. We have Blue Laced Wyandottes, Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, Silver Birchen, Blue Birchen, Splash and Blue Wheaten Marans, Buff Braggs Mountain, Exchequer Leghorns. The Breda are larger than the Leghorns but not anyone else. They have been laying now for several weeks and the eggs are still medium, I believe. If they were not so fancy looking we probably would not keep them. But they are unique enough with their lack of comb and their vulture hocks that we like having them to look at. We have not seen the rooster act mean but he does seem more protective of his flock than others.

Back
Top Bottom