Breed and gender ID?

wiseacresranch

Hatching
Jan 9, 2016
Hello BYC! I finally joined! I have a new chicken that was a friend's daughter's class project to raise from am egg. She gave our to us about 5 weeks ago, so I am placing the she at about 9 or 10 weeks old. I am posting some pics to see if anyone can help worth the breed and gender. Name is Goldie which can go either way! Total sweetheart!
[/IMG][/IMG]

If your age is correct, it is definitely a mixed breed rooster.

However, to me it looks around twenty weeks old to me (you rarely get such a red comb unless they were a minimum of 16 weeks old). !

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Could be a mixed breed cockerel,could we see some other pictures of your flock? I feel like that if this is a cockerel, then it would be hen-feathered, as it lacks sickle feathers.plus it does not have the normal body shape of a male and its tail feathers not have the normal curve.

Pics of the flock won't help because Goldie was given to us by a friend whose daughter raised it in science class. The teacher knew nothing g about breeds! But here is another picture.
[/IMG]

If the bird is only 10ish weeks old, it's too young for hackle and saddle or sickle feathers. Those usually start around 13 weeks or so, sometimes not til 4 or 5 months depending on the breed.

Back
Top Bottom