Breed and gender on these please?

Georgia peach

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
All rooster are being donated to a petting zoo to free range and roam today! Wondering if these should go. Any opinions? They are about 3ish months old. Just wondering what breed they are too.

I fear this is a rooster too! Doesn't the long tail feather indicate a rooster?

First is a mixed rooster. Second one looks like a pullet so far, but a full on side view would help.

Is this any better? It's so hard to get good pix because they think anything in my hand is something to eat and stay right up under my feet! Lol!

That single tail feather sticking out is what makes me wonder. Hens wouldn't have this right? As you can probably tell I'm new to chickens and I am confused! Lol! Thanks for your help!

Is this any better? It's so hard to get good pix because they think anything in my hand is something to eat and stay right up under my feet! Lol!

That single tail feather sticking out is what makes me wonder. Hens wouldn't have this right? As you can probably tell I'm new to chickens and I am confused! Lol! Thanks for your help!

The all black one is a pullet.

Take a look at the saddle feathers; the long, thin, pointy feathers that grow on the backs from between the wings to the base of the tail and drape to either side...you can see them very clearly on the cockerel in the foreground of photo #3. Feathers like that clearly indicate male. On the pullet, they're short, wider, growing tight to the body and have rounded tips.

The males also have those same long, thin and pointy feathers growing around their necks...those are called hackle feathers whereas the hackles on females have rounded tips and grow tight to the body.

Last edited:
The all black one is a pullet. 
Take a look at the saddle feathers; the long, thin, pointy feathers that grow on the backs from between the wings to the base of the tail and drape to either side...you can see them very clearly on the cockerel in the foreground of photo #3.  Feathers like that clearly indicate male.  On the pullet, they're short, wider, growing tight to the body and have rounded tips. 

The males also have those same long, thin and pointy feathers growing around their necks...those are called hackle feathers whereas the hackles on females have rounded tips and grow tight to the body. 

Yay! I've got 3 pullets out of 8 then! Thank you so much! Explained better than articles I have read!

Back
Top Bottom