Breed and gender on these please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Georgia peach, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Georgia peach

Georgia peach Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2014
    All rooster are being donated to a petting zoo to free range and roam today! Wondering if these should go. Any opinions? They are about 3ish months old. Just wondering what breed they are too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I fear this is a rooster too! Doesn't the long tail feather indicate a rooster?
    [​IMG]

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    First is a mixed rooster. Second one looks like a pullet so far, but a full on side view would help.

3. Georgia peach

Mar 24, 2014
    Is this any better? It's so hard to get good pix because they think anything in my hand is something to eat and stay right up under my feet! Lol!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That single tail feather sticking out is what makes me wonder. Hens wouldn't have this right? As you can probably tell I'm new to chickens and I am confused! Lol! Thanks for your help!

4. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine

The all black one is a pullet.

Take a look at the saddle feathers; the long, thin, pointy feathers that grow on the backs from between the wings to the base of the tail and drape to either side...you can see them very clearly on the cockerel in the foreground of photo #3. Feathers like that clearly indicate male. On the pullet, they're short, wider, growing tight to the body and have rounded tips.

The males also have those same long, thin and pointy feathers growing around their necks...those are called hackle feathers whereas the hackles on females have rounded tips and grow tight to the body.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  5. Georgia peach

Mar 24, 2014
    Yay! I've got 3 pullets out of 8 then! Thank you so much! Explained better than articles I have read!

1 person likes this.
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The all black bird is a pullet. The others are cockerels. They appear to be mixed breeds.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X3 on that.

9. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Definitely mixed breeds. Maybe some americana in the mix on account of those muffs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by