BREED AND GENDER

ilovechickens_01

Hatching
Jan 24, 2019
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could help me identify what breed my chickens are and whether they are both females or males or a female and a male.

These chickens are around 4 months old (I believe) and my sellers told me that they were Heritage X which I don’t clearly understand what it means by Heritage X. I feel like they might be olive egger breed but not too sure. I don’t trust my instinct enough so I want to ask for your expertise and opinion.

One of the chickens, the one with a comb (or a crest) has some white pigmentation covering its feet including toenails. Is that a bad thing or not? And the other hasn’t at all developed a comb (or crest) at all.

Thank you guys
Cheers!!

Attachments

• C708E3E9-51B4-4543-846E-1C351554875F.jpeg
    C708E3E9-51B4-4543-846E-1C351554875F.jpeg
    532.6 KB · Views: 20
  • EC4C7909-C52C-4C3C-9B2A-5C3C5BB5A9FE.jpeg
    EC4C7909-C52C-4C3C-9B2A-5C3C5BB5A9FE.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 4E6A3D97-4E1E-4A22-B220-66806BBD39ED.jpeg
    4E6A3D97-4E1E-4A22-B220-66806BBD39ED.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 16
Couple of things... I think 'Heritage X' means they're a Heritage breed crossed with something else; in other words a mixed breed.
Additionally, Olive Eggers are not a breed. They're a mix of breeds to create an olive colored egg.
Finally, how old are they? I agree they look like pullets, at this point. There's little to no comb or wattle development on the one, and some color on the other. I don't see any male feathering, if they're old enough for it.

Couple of things... I think 'Heritage X' means they're a Heritage breed crossed with something else; in other words a mixed breed.
Additionally, Olive Eggers are not a breed. They're a mix of breeds to create an olive colored egg.
Finally, how old are they? I agree they look like pullets, at this point. There's little to no comb or wattle development on the one, and some color on the other. I don't see any male feathering, if they're old enough for it.
Cheers :) there are around 4 months old.

Thank you. So how could you tell whether they were pullets? From their feather?

I don't see any male feathering and at 16 weeks you would be seeing that. Their feathers are round not long and pointed. Also their combs are small, a male of that age would have a larger, brighter comb. As for what they are a mix of I'm not sure. They might have some Ayam Cemani, but that is a guess. There are others that are better than me at picking out breeds in mixes.

Back
Top Bottom