Breed and sex of chicks

I got some better pics of the other chicks this morning. The first one is Marigold. Pretty sure she's a she. The second one is Petunia and the third is Violet. The last pic is a close up of Petunia on the left and Violet on the right. I fear those two may be little roos. Those are the two I think may be sapphire gems. They had some of those at RK. The reddish ones, Marigold and Rosie, could be cinnamon queens, since they had quite a few of that breed too. They are probably between 4 - 5 weeks old now.

Attachments

• Marigold 1.jpg
    Marigold 1.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Petunia 2.jpg
    Petunia 2.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Violet 2.jpg
    Violet 2.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Violet and Petunia.jpg
    Violet and Petunia.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 12
We used to have one bantam rooster sharing a pen with a large mixed rooster, and we are talking burly! They rarely ever fought!
We have multiple bachelor pad pens!
We had one roo but with only 4 hens the girls were getting a little stressed. Plus he started getting aggressive with me too. We found a great new home for him though. He's Man-about-town on a large homestead with 38 hens! The new owner says he "loves the ladies!" LOL

The "scruff test" doesn't really work. I think Violet and petunia could be your boys, but time will tell.
I didn't think so either. I also am afraid that Violet is really "Vince" and Petunia is "Petey." Thanks for your input. I guess time will tell. Shouldn't be too long now. They're all starting to get their hackle feathers. The fuzzy stuff is getting rather scruffy.

My little chicks are now much bigger and I am still wondering about the breed and sex of these three. They are about 11 - 12 weeks I think. I'm pretty sure the middle one is a female sapphire gem, but the other two I am still questioning both breed and sex. Both of those have some reddish feathers on their chests but otherwise they look a lot like the middle one. They all recently started clucking more like adults and today I noticed a lot of feathers in the chicken yard and coop. I guess there is a molt between 10-12 weeks where males get more of their fancy roo feathers? I know this will end up being what it is, but old mother hen here is nervous! LOL
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• chicken 1.jpg
    chicken 1.jpg
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 9
  • chicken 2.jpg
    chicken 2.jpg
    939 KB · Views: 9
  • chicken 3.jpg
    chicken 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
Looks like you got pullets to me! Their wattles are very tiny!😉 They also don’t have any of the rooster feathers like pointy hackles and saddles!😉 Maybe they are blue copper maran pullets? Do you have any recent pictures of the others you purchased!?😁

Looks like you got pullets to me! Their wattles are very tiny!😉 They also don’t have any of the rooster feathers like pointy hackles and saddles!😉 Maybe they are blue copper maran pullets? Do you have any recent pictures of the others you purchased!?😁
Oh I just realized that your two red chicks are behind them! Those ones are also pullets!😉 But that one in the middle I would say is either a female sapphire gem or a female blue Andalusian!😁

Oh that would be awesome if they're all pullets! I was starting to think that they would have more pronounced wattles/combs by now if they were roos. I'm going to try to get a pic of the little bantam tomorrow. She is absolutely the cutest thing! Turns out she is a Mille Fleur D'Uccle. She has lots of feathers on her tiny feet and a little beard. She's getting the patterns on her feathers too. Just stinkin' adorable!

Oh that would be awesome if they're all pullets! I was starting to think that they would have more pronounced wattles/combs by now if they were roos. I'm going to try to get a pic of the little bantam tomorrow. She is absolutely the cutest thing! Turns out she is a Mille Fleur D'Uccle. She has lots of feathers on her tiny feet and a little beard. She's getting the patterns on her feathers too. Just stinkin' adorable!
😍😍

This is Millie. She is just about the cutest little chicken I have ever seen! She sometimes gets separated from the rest of her flock and then calls them. They all come running. They seem to protect her since she's so small.

Attachments

• millie.jpg
    millie.jpg
    845.8 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom