Breed and Sex of Found Chicken

pointsalamander

Songster
7 Years
Aug 24, 2016
This is Lulu.

Lulu jumped into my car one day after we left a garage sale.

We have no idea on Lulu's gender, or breed. We aren't super sure on age either only that the baby feathers are still going out and the comb is still coming in. We are hoping mostly to try figure out chicken or rooster.

Lulu is VERY friendly. Follows us around and tries to not let us more than 5 feet away. My 4 and 2.5 year old can easily pick up Lulu.

So far most of Lulu's noises are a kind of peep or chrip. There is no crowing or clucking. Lulu is VERY talkative loves to trill when a particularly tasty slug is found. And some noises remind me of a loon. Here are the photos I have of lulu they are taken either the day we got Lulu (less fluff around the butt) or yesterday (fluff butt).

If anyone can help thank you. If you need more information please ask.

really stinks that roosters tend to be more friendly!!! I hadn't heard that before. Explains why my flock of 10 hens that i've tried to touch or hold everyday still resists any people contact, the lil stinkers!

1 RIR, 1 Speckled Sussex, 3 EE, (3mths), 1 buff orp, 1 columbian wyan (5 wks), 1 BCM, 2 BLRW (3 wks)
Most chickens do not enjoy being handled, picked up, or pet. Lap chickens are not the norm, even if regularly handled when young. Younger birds are also very instinctively fearful of anything larger than them and anything that moves over their heads. They are prey animals, after all. Never reach over them or try to grab at them. Just makes them more nervous.

Looks like a Buff Orpington cockerel to me. Oh, and many warm welcomes to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
big_smile.png

~Alex

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom