Breed compatibility and integration questions

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
Hello! I am getting 3 barred plymouth rocks in 2 weeks and am already thinking of expanding my flock :lol:
I've heard that barred rocks can be very aggressive and dominant, of these breeds, would any be compatible?
Easter Egger
Cochin
Speckled Sussex
Silver or Gold Laced Wyandotte
Australorp
Rhode Island Red
Buff Brahma
If there are other breeds that are particularly compatible with the barred rocks that aren't listed here I would love to hear about them. These are also listed in order of how much I want them lol

Hello! I am getting 3 barred plymouth rocks in 2 weeks and am already thinking of expanding my flock :lol:
I've heard that barred rocks can be very aggressive and dominant, of these breeds, would any be compatible?
Easter Egger
Cochin
Speckled Sussex
Silver or Gold Laced Wyandotte
Australorp
Rhode Island Red
Buff Brahma
If there are other breeds that are particularly compatible with the barred rocks that aren't listed here I would love to hear about them. These are also listed in order of how much I want them lol
?

Are there any that would be better than others, even if not on the list? Also about barred rocks: I've seen sources that say that they are dominant and can be aggressive, but also places that say that they are sweet and docile. Does anyone have experience with them? Or any information?

Or even general breed compatibility, what traits to avoid or look for when looking for compatible breeds? Any tips about integrating?

I think I'll sort of let this thread sit until I need to actually think about this, I am really just one to plan ahead.

I've only had 2 BR before. Both were very dominant and bossy. Hopefully someone that has more experience with them will chime in soon.

I've only had 2 BR before. Both were very dominant and bossy. Hopefully someone that has more experience with them will chime in soon.
Thanks for the response! I should have done more research on temperament, but oh well. I'm stuck with the barred rocks! I'm sure that they'll be ok together, but most of the breeds that I want to add are pretty submissive in general, and I don't think that the two mix well.

Thanks for the response! I should have done more research on temperament, but oh well. I'm stuck with the barred rocks! I'm sure that they'll be ok together, but most of the breeds that I want to add are pretty submissive in general, and I don't think that the two mix well.
Update: After doing more research I guess they're overall considered friendly...? I guess I'll just have to figure it out. If I was to expand my current top choice would be getting a cochin, a silver laced wyandotte, and an easter egger. I'll do more research. (I'm going on about this when this is months and possibly an entire year away XD I really like to plan ahead)

in my experience, cochins and my Easter eggrs are the most docile of them all. Rhode Islands are more flighty and not as personable.
Yes! I really want to get cochins and easter eggers because they are very friendly and cute, and lay beautiful eggs. However, I really wanted to get chickens quickly while I still have time during quarantine (they'll fit with my regular schedule, but I need start up time) I'm not as worried about how friendly they are with me as how they would treat new birds....I've read that they can be very dominant and bossy to other birds, and I'm worried about how they could treat docile birds like EEs and Cochins....but I've also read that the BRs are very friendly and calm? I'm just generally confused all around XD

Back
Top Bottom