Breed & Gender Help Please!

JPinVT

Songster
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Vermont
I'm hoping you guys can help me identify a few of my chicks. I ordered them from McMurray's hatchery, and they're 6 weeks old at this point, but if they're younger in the pics, I'll mention that. Thanks in advance!

This one is obviously a roo, but I have no idea on the breed. He was one of the "chipmunk" looking chicks when he was a baby.
55902_unknowna_6wka.jpg

55902_unknowna_6wk.jpg

This one is also a mystery - both breed and gender. He has 4 toes, and I don't think McMurray has silkies anyway, but I swear he looks part silkie to me. His feet are a yellowy-gray color, and his feathers are mostly white with a couple of gray and even 1 buff coming in. Very odd.
Here's a baby picture (less than a week old):
55902_sas_1wk.jpg

And this is him at 6 weeks:
55902_sasq_5wka.jpg
55902_sas_5wk.jpg

I believe this is a silver-spangled hamburg roo?
1 week old:
55902_hamburg_1wk.jpg

5 weeks old:
55902_silver_spangled_hamburg_5wk.jpg

And last but not least, I believe this guy is a cochin, but I'm not sure what variety (i.e. what he'll look like when he's grown up). Also, not sure on the gender, so here are a few pics of him at 6 weeks:
55902_rex_6wk.jpg
55902_rex_5wkb.jpg
55902_rex_5wk.jpg

Please say pullet on this one - he's my most friendly chick! He hops right into my lap and onto my arm whenever I go in the coop.

Thanks for your help!

#2 looks like a cochin, #3 looks like a possible Easter Egger because of the green legs, and they all look like boys to me, except maybe the last one

Last edited:
I'm going to say:

Looks like a Brown leghorn rooster, but he appears to have a rose comb
Splash Cochin
Rooster (duh) those legs look awfully green which would suggest EE, but he doesn't look like the typical EE male. Looks like a mix of some sort, he has a strange comb.
Has a pea comb, so light brahma and sorry, but I think he's a roo.

Quote:
Usually, we think single comb when we think leghorn - - - - but accouding to some websites including Purely Poultry link below - - - it is possible for some leghorns to have rosecombs. It could be the a GLW too - - - I just expected more gold lacing on it
idunno.gif

Since EE's are a mix anyway - - - they really can have any kind of comb
wink.png
Green legs are the clue there.
smile.png

http://purelypoultry.com/leghorn-chickens-p-467.html

Yes, it looks to have green legs. The comb looks like a mix of 2 combs (not the typical pea comb) that sometimes happens with crosses. I'm well aware they are a mix and can have any type of comb, but this one looked different - like a pea and rose comb mixed together, which is why I mentioned it.

It's also not the typical EE color pattern. And it could also just be the photo that's making the legs appear green.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom