breed+gender of 5 week old chick

chelseachook

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
QLD, Australia
Hi, I have one chick. She came from my flock. I am not very educated with chicken breeds, but I have a rir, 2 isa browns, 1 isa black (is that an actual breed?), 1 isa white and a bantam. Baby hatched from a large light brown egg. I am not really sure about my rooster's breed. I have some pictures of him, hopefully so we can discover what breed Baby is. The chick has blue/grey back feathers and legs. She also has some white and black wing feathers. I feather sexed on day 1 and she was a girl, but now I am hearing it isn't accurate. Please help me. Thank you.
WIN_20200608_20_26_01_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200608_20_22_45_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200608_20_24_30_Pro.jpg
20200608_203524.jpg
20200608_203808.jpg

Beautiful chick:love What does your bantam look like? The blue legs make me think the mother was a Seabright bantam, but then the egg she hatched from would’ve been small. I think your rooster is a Rhode Island Red. He’s beautiful!

Beautiful chick:love What does your bantam look like? The blue legs make me think the mother was a Seabright bantam, but then the egg she hatched from would’ve been small. I think your rooster is a Rhode Island Red. He’s beautiful!
Thanks! The bantam is not a seabright. She looks a bit like a japenese bantam (white and small), but not with a very long tail and she is a bit bigger. I remember her mother looked more like a japenese bantam. Anyway, she lays small white eggs, so Baby didn't hatch from her egg. Do you know if she is a hen or roo? :)

I would say you are right she is a pullet. Your rooster is probably a Mediterranean breed, known for their large comb and wattle to dissipate body heat. Northern breed developed with small combs so they don't get frostbite.
The grey legs are actually called blue she should have white soft pad on the bottom of her foot. That is a clue, does anybody else in the flock have blue legs with white foot pad? Blue/grey feathering is a dilution of black. But genetically it can easily be traits from the four grandparents which are unknown. If you know her egg color when she hatched can you narrow down which of your chickens could of hatched her. Good luck with your detective work.

I would say you are right she is a pullet. Your rooster is probably a Mediterranean breed, known for their large comb and wattle to dissipate body heat. Northern breed developed with small combs so they don't get frostbite.
The grey legs are actually called blue she should have white soft pad on the bottom of her foot. That is a clue, does anybody else in the flock have blue legs with white foot pad? Blue/grey feathering is a dilution of black. But genetically it can easily be traits from the four grandparents which are unknown. If you know her egg color when she hatched can you narrow down which of your chickens could of hatched her. Good luck with your detective work.
Thank you! I will do more research on Mediterranean breeds, and continue to update on this thread. SO glad that I can keep her now that I know she is a hen.

Back
Top Bottom