Breed help? In over my head AGAIN.

campingshaws

Enabler
7 Years
Aug 9, 2014
Southwest Louisiana
Last night we went to the poultry auction even though we are decidedly at capacity. Good thing we brought the carrier "just in case."

Adding five girls nearly doubles my flock. Is this the "chicken math" I keep reading about?

The guy just said they were "pullets" but I thought I remembered seeing a pic of one on a thread before, and they just looked so fancy, that I forced hubby to bid. Three have big angled tails, and two have no tails. The smallest one doesn't have as many speckles but orangey feathers with little black marks. She's shaped like a road runner.

The two with no tails are the friendliest, so there are more pics of them. The rain made it too dark to get clear pics of the others.

Last night we went to the poultry auction even though we are decidedly at capacity. Good thing we brought the carrier "just in case."

Adding five girls nearly doubles my flock. Is this the "chicken math" I keep reading about?

The guy just said they were "pullets" but I thought I remembered seeing a pic of one on a thread before, and they just looked so fancy, that I forced hubby to bid. Three have big angled tails, and two have no tails. The smallest one doesn't have as many speckles but orangey feathers with little black marks. She's shaped like a road runner.

The two with no tails are the friendliest, so there are more pics of them. The rain made it too dark to get clear pics of the others.
The spotty ones look like my speckled Sussex

If they are pullets watch them grow. I'm thinking Sussex because they are bigger bodied birds for something like an old English. Most English birds have white legs but I've noticed that all spangled/speckled have white legs! If your worried about tails wait until that one is a little bit older to see she might of just did something to her tail.

Speckled Sussexs! I had a roo recently and found him a new home. I take roosters people don't want I eat the mean regime the nice... They are very nice and Beautiful birds and the one I had loved treats more than usual... My DH thought the too had a crush on me lol

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Would y'all guess 12 weeks? I have layer feed and chick starter; I gave them the layer this morning.

CharterChick, so your roo is sweet? We were originally intending to have a roo-less flock because we have little kids, but hubby has been more inclined lately.

Thanks everyone! Would y'all guess 12 weeks? I have layer feed and chick starter; I gave them the layer this morning.

CharterChick, so your roo is sweet? We were originally intending to have a roo-less flock because we have little kids, but hubby has been more inclined lately.
He was lovely that's why he was rehomed instead of eaten :) the lady that took him has 5 kids and the first thing the did was pick him up and pet him lol he was hand raised from a chick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom