Who am I and what is my gender :-)

I am not seeing any males, but I can't be sure that I have paid attention to every chicken, the way they all keep photobombing.

Can you get photos of each chicken individually? That would make it easier to see the traits of each one. Labels help too, so we have a way to be consistent about which chicken is being discussed ("Chicken A" or "Spot" is more clear than "the one with gold and black patterning that looks almost like the other one...")

It is possible for pullets & hens to crow.
It is possible to have "fertile" eggs with a bullseye with no rooster present.

But I agree that if you hear crowing and the eggs look fertile, you probably do have a male in there somewhere. I have never heard of eggs that develop into chicks and hatch, with no rooster involved. If you put eggs in an incubator, and they develop into chicks and hatch, I would consider that pretty good proof of there being a male present.

Only females lay eggs, so if you figure out who is laying, the only possible males will be the non-laying ones.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
^This is one way to check who is laying.

Or you could put one at a time into something like a dog crate, to see if she/he lays an egg. One egg proves that bird to be female, and you go on to the next one. If every one of them lays an egg, then they are all females.
Also referring to if I put some in the incubator well I give them away so u kept what I felt was all hens at that time and kept 10.

Is the white bird behind the reds an older Mediterranean breed bird, or is that your possible cockeral?
That’s cookie and she lays eggs she is older than the ones I am questioning BUT I don’t know the breed of her mom she is one of the older brown ones in this thread somewhere. Brownie Crimson or Skowflake. Dad is Silver Laced Wyandotte. I think she looks like a sussex or light brahma crazy!

Rhode Island Reds are always a red/brown color with a black tail. New Hampshires are the same, except that they tend to be a slightly lighter red. Production Reds can be any shade of red, still with a black tail.

A red chicken with white tail and white markings around the neck, if bought from a store or hatchery, is almost always a red sexlink (ISA Brown, Golden Comet, or something of the sort.) They usually have a Rhode Island Red father, so they have a chance of giving their chicks pretty much the same genes that a Rhode Island Red would give.

I do not see any Rhode Island Reds in those photos. I see some red sexlinks.

I see one that looks gold or light red and appears to have white barring across the feathers (color too light to be Rhode Island Red, and if she does have white barring that is definitely wrong for a Rhode Island Red.) I think she's also got white feet. If she does not have white barring, she might be a Buff Orpington (gold color, white feet). Otherwise, she is some kind of hatchery mix.

The red sexlinks definitely have Rhode Island Red in their ancestry, but are not themselves Rhode Island Reds.
Exactly what I thought. The chickens are my 43 year old self midlife crisis therapy lol. I geek out on research and even write things in my Bird journals lol. My husband is starting to hate the birds and me 🫣

Back
Top Bottom