Breed help??

Hello! I bought some fertilized eggs from someone and I'm not entirely sure what i have-Can you guys help please? :D

These are the eggs i started out with. I crossed out the eggs that weren't fertilized/didn't make it to hatch. I was told that these are olive eggers and french black marans but that one light brown egg has me confused.

This is what hatched from the eggs below.

I was told the little one below with the white head could be a rooster black maran

and that the other black ones are female black marans

I have no clue what this golden one is....maybe it was from the lighter brown egg? The person who i bought them from said it was maybe a white maran?

and i was told the little ones that look like chipmunks are olive eggers.

Can anybody verify this or give me their 2 cents? I thought olive eggers were darker?

Hello! I bought some fertilized eggs from someone and I'm not entirely sure what i have-Can you guys help please? :D

These are the eggs i started out with. I crossed out the eggs that weren't fertilized/didn't make it to hatch. I was told that these are olive eggers and french black marans but that one light brown egg has me confused.

This is what hatched from the eggs below.

I was told the little one below with the white head could be a rooster black maran

and that the other black ones are female black marans

I have no clue what this golden one is....maybe it was from the lighter brown egg? The person who i bought them from said it was maybe a white maran?

and i was told the little ones that look like chipmunks are olive eggers.

Can anybody verify this or give me their 2 cents? I thought olive eggers were darker?
welcome-byc.gif

Without knowing more about the parent stock, it's really hard to say what the babies could be. Olive egger is simply a term for a bird that has one dark brown egg parent and one blue egg parent. There are several different crosses that can be used to make olive eggers, so you really can't count on a consistent look. Then throw in, what was the father? That's going to contribute half of the chick's genes, so it's really impossible to say. If you can contact the seller of the eggs and find out what breeds their flock consists of, male and female, when the chicks are feathered out we may be able to pinpoint who has which parents.....or maybe not, as some of them may be mixes of mixes
smile.png

I can say the chick with the white spot on it's head had at least one barred parent. That white spot means the chick is barred/cuckoo. If the rooster was solid and the hen was barred, then the chick is a male. If the rooster was barred, no sex-linkage is present.

My black Marans chicks have a ton of white on the underbelly and around the eyes, even more so than your little barred bird. So I don't think your solid black birds are pure Marans.

Little reddish/brown and chipmunk colored chicks could be dozens of different breeds......

Back
Top Bottom